Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick's 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon Swap!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    It's ok, i believe the brown is a ground too, but yet to work out exactly what for.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Actually, got one more snag to fix (thanks for the tips above guys), high idle on start-up.

Upon starting the engine, it idles at approx 1500rpm until it gets up to temperatures then drops to 750 or something like that. At first I thought it might be because I keep disconnecting the battery, so it's effectively relearning everytime. I ran it up to temp yesterday, and it settled down to a nice steady 750rpm idle. Turned it off after a while, but left the battery connected. Just gone to start it, and it's idling at 1500 again from cold (I can see my neighbours loving that!)

Have i mis-wired something / forgotten to wire something / faulty sensor ?
    Mk2 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon. Taxed, MOT'ed and insured! She's finished!

No, you haven't. When you disconnect the ECu it goes back to basics and will give you a higher idle to begin with.
    Once it's done some learning it should drop to 625/650ish (as opposed to the 750 you're seeing now).

When cold it'll do 30 seconds at 1600rpm, then a couple of minutes at 1100rpmish then finally 650ish once warm - that's a normal warmup cyclye.

LOL , every car ever built in the history of cars has a high idle when cold and settles to low RPM when warm.

Auto choke warm up fast idle, all engines do that, not just 2gr's.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Really? First car I've ever owned that idles high (1500rpm) for at least two to three minutes.
    Mk2 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon. Taxed, MOT'ed and insured! She's finished!

Mine did that until it had a) been driven a bit and 2) left with the battery connected.

I got into a habit of disconnecting the battery, habit for me on a project car.

C.

Seriously, all cars have a high idle when cold, perfectly normal

Monitor the idle versus temp and you will see at exactly 80*c the idle drops off. Any live data stream scanner will show you it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Monitor the idle versus temp and you will see at exactly 80*c the idle drops off. Any live data stream scanner will show you it in action.
    Mine takes ~7 minutes for coolant temps to go from ambient to 80 degrees. The cold idle cycle is generally done and the engine is at 650rpm in about 3/4 minutes.