thread: Nick's 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon Swap!

Sep 2007
    stockport
    I thought most would have been recalled for that pipe or had it done by now?

I don't know if any of ours out of the first group have been checked for this (knowing Paul and Marc they both probably checked and fixed it or didn't need to)

Jul 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Gearbox, best to remove this with the engine, or separately? I've stripped most of the guff off my engine now, just need to remove the turbo and exhaust, and then it's ready to remove the whole shebang from the engine bay!
    Mk2 2GR-FE Trackday Weapon. Taxed, MOT'ed and insured! She's finished!

Sep 2010
    east sussex
    Gearbox, best to remove this with the engine, or separately? I've stripped most of the guff off my engine now, just need to remove the turbo and exhaust, and then it's ready to remove the whole shebang from the engine bay!

Drop them both out together. .

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Ideally best to get them both out in one lump.

Are you still planning on taking the engine out the top?

C.

Jul 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Haven't decided yet. I suspect it'll have to out the top, I can't see there being enough room for an engine trolley to move around, I think the legs of the crane will get in the way.

Sep 2007
    stockport
    I lifted the back end up when the engine box was on the floor, with the engine crane and some old seat belts even better if you put the front on car ramps it gives you extra hight just be careful of it going forwards and off the ramps I put concrete bags on them and ratchet strapped the wheel to one just incase.

Just an idea.

On the mk2 I've dropped the entire rear end as one solid unit, engine trans, wheels, rear cross and all. It's much easier that way as you don't have to worry about a dolly and junk.

Sep 2010
    Earls Barton
    Haven't decided yet. I suspect it'll have to out the top, I can't see there being enough room for an engine trolley to move around, I think the legs of the crane will get in the way.
    Can you use that beam?

Also have a look at adding a bar with pegs on each wall, that will mean you can support the car without anything being in the way.

C.

Dec 2008
    USA (Canadian though)
    the water pump replacement is because they initially had a manufacturing tolerance issue. when you take the belt off, spin the pulley. if you hear/feel grinding, replace the pump. otherwise you're good to go.

and don't forget the rear bank's vvti hose. use the all metal replacement.

Jul 2007
    Hertfordshire
    and don't forget the rear bank's vvti hose. use the all metal replacement.
    Cheers, already taken a look at mine, I've still got rubber, so will be fixing that.

Chris - that oil patch we saw on your engine, there is a known issue of oil leaking from timing covers, I wonder if that was what we saw?

•