Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What mods would you do whilst my 3vz is out?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What mods would you do whilst my 3vz is out?

Hey folks,

Upon realising that the damage to my gearbox casing is pretty goddamn inaccessable, I'm just going to man up and get the 3vz out. Luckily my other car is back and running perfectly so I can afford to give this a good go. I'm going to basically follow this guide:

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/En...e_3SGTE-01.htm

What I want to know is what would you do whilst the engine is out - it is bone stock but with a paddle clutch flywheel and lsd.

1) Headwork - I've been doing extensive reading on it and managed to find a few articles. Is it worthwhile getting this done by a company or my mate with his dremel?!

2) ACIS mod - I know this can be done with the engine in situ but I was thinking of doing this mod. There seems to be so much confusion as to what to do tho - am I actually just removing the bracket with the ACIS flap and cleaning it up or is it best to weld the flap shut for high end power. There was talk about having it shut over at a lower rpm - if this is complicated I'd maybe best leave it... What have you guys done?

3) Timing - As I gather, you can advance timing by for an easy gain in power. Is that right and worthwhile doing when the engine is out? By how many degrees?

4) AFM mod - Again could be done with the engine in situ and I'll probably play around with it but as I understand I'm looking to make the car run a bit leaner as it comes out the factory super rich. Worthwhile doing?

5) Servicing - Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, Belts (if need be). Is there anything that I should remove and clean up prior to putting the engine back in?

Sorry for so many questions. I've been searching for hours and I understand most of whats going on but still have many a question!

Any help appreciated! Going to blast removal tomorrow!

Vish

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    As far as i'm concerned the AFM mod should be banned from even appearing on these pages, it's not a mod, it's a bodge to fool the ECU into running the engine leaner, makes you wonder why Motec and the like spend thousands developing their standalone ECU's, turns out all you need to do is turn a cog a few clicks..... madness in my opinion.

I know of at least 3 V6 engines that have had problems running this "mod" , detonating their brains out, melting the HG fire ring and damaging ringlands.

How are people managing the need for a different ignition map while taking a sledgehammer to the fuelling? It's still running the same spark table as before.... also what about closed loop and open loop? Any consideration given to what is happening under both scenarios? I hear if you stuff marshmallows into the intake it adds 20bhp, but only the white ones, the pink ones don't seem to work. Sorry for my sarcasm, i just hate this mod with a passion.

If you do this to your V6 you do so at your own risk, it is something i strongly disagree with, and i know some people have done it and say it's fine, that's ok until the day it blows up, no ta not for me!

Surmon over, there isn't a lot you can do apart from the headwork Vish, which is worth doing, i can't remember but did we use Ferriday gaskets on yours or just stock gaskets? If it was Ferriday you will need to send those back to Mike Tanski at Ferriday for recoating, if you just have stock gaskets make sure you use Payen or Toyota quality.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

If I haven't got any marshmallows will Bassets Allsorts work? :-P

And Paul, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I only got a 1 paragraph ranting when I asked about the AFM sledgehammer mod. Feeling kinda short changed now. ;-)

Lol, he's really not a fan. Rant away Paul, we love you for your straight talking honesty!

Personally I try and do the following as standard.

1) downpipe / header mod or replace
    2) decent back box
    3) decent intake pipe adapter with filter
    4) remove oil breather pickups from the intake and fit a catch can
    5) remove EGR and cap everything

All those things in my opinion are very low impact, but they actually get the engine breathing cleaner and certainly less restricted than when it was in the Cammy. Cammys are not fast - I might have to do the above mods on the next one before I remove the engine just to see how it feels.

C.

Cheers for the reply Paul. I really appreciate you clearing it up I'll defo steer clear of it.

It was just the stock gaskets we used so I think I'd best get a set of the Ferriday ones.

As for the headwork - Is there anyone in particular you would send it to? Or just best to follow one of the guides and just have a go...

Chris I think apart from the headwork, my v6 has had all of those - oh wait need a catch can I think but apart frm that :D Need to get the Y pipe done at a later date too!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Bassetts also work!

Sorry for going off on one, i just see people doing this mod because it's a free thing they can do on their driveway, the internets say it's a good thing so let's do it!

I think all of the top tuners are missing a trick.... oops ranting again.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Aw that's mean. :-(

What about the AMF mod:hidesbehi:

yeah i've heard good things about the AFM mod..seems easy too!

Isn't it a few clicks to the right and a jump to the left?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast