Thread: Speedo unit question

Speedo unit question

Hi all.
    As some of you may know, my mk1.5 project is nearing completion. One of the jobs left to do is the speedo. Now it's a rev 2, so has an electronic sender.
    I've bought one of the st165 90 degree adapters (as per pauls sender mod thread), I'm just wondering if it's possible to remove the mk2 assembly (held by the three screws) with the engine in place. I'm not near the car at the moment, but I remember it being a bit tight against the chassis.

I don't fancy moving the engine again, but at the same time I'd like to see how stupidly fast this thing is going to be!

Cheers,
    Ben.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Yes it all removes in situ Ben, but i would fit a complete Rev1 mechanical sender rather than mod it.... also the ECU relies on the dash speedo signal so you will get a CEL without that working.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Excellent. I'll get on sourcing one now.
    Nice one, cheers Paul!

Actually, I don't s'pose you know if a sender from an st185 will fit?
    I've just realised that there's an old st185 gearbox with mechanical speedo knocking around at mine. That'd be mighty handy.

If its a turbo box it should fit undo the 10/12mm bolt and pull it out mine came apart in two bits so was easier to remove some are so stuck together that there Spain to try and get out of the mr2 engine bay.
    Last edited by snowtigger; 27-05-2012 at 20:45.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Yes Ben if the st185 has a mech sender that will work, undo the 12mm bolt to release the outer part and just prize out the inner part

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Champion!

Cheers chaps.