Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MR2 MK2 Sills

That's great work Trev , fitted one on my car, that fab work you did on the rear inner sill took some skill and patience . I just kept sticking metal together till I filled the hole

Excellent work there, some of those inner pieces look really complex. It certainly puts my metal-bending efforts to shame!

Excellent, thanks for the post Trev! I actually stumbled across your MR2 thread when I was researching the sills, I even took it round to the garage on the iPad to show him your work! :)

Really is fantastic work you have done there, and I'd be happy with the look of the Astra sills on the MR2 definitely. Like has been said, it's very difficult to tell the difference unless two cars were side by side, and even then who really looks at the sills that closely? The are a little squarer than the standard look, bit the squareness is so low that you would never see it anyway!

After all my research, we ended up deciding to use the Toyota repair panels to construct new sills, but were a bit mislead by the length of the panels portrayed in toyotas diagram!

I've added the repair pictures to my journal here:
    www.markreid.co.uk/mr2

Im happy with the finish, (its unfortunate I didnt get pics of the internals), but it does work out a lot more expensive in parts at least considering the price of the repair panel against a mk1 astra sill.

Theres definitely an opportunity for someone like yourself to have a bit of a business line with these sill repairs!

Thanks again,
    Mark
    Check out my MR2 journal

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    You do some amazing work Trev, i don't think i've ever seen anyone take so much care and attention with templates and fabrication as that, most (including me) would just roughly make the inner panels as we go, very impressive.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Cheers everyone for the great comments about the fabrication work.
    Back in 2009 it was a bit heartbreaking being told by the MOT station, that the car that I've always wanted would be failing the MOT, took her to a few different body shop's and was getting quotes of £700+, not too bad but I've got two kids and a financial adviser (wife) wanting that sort of money! so decided to have a go myself.
    At the moment I'm busy working full time and also running my own business, this is the sort of thing I'm up to: http://www.creativecombo.webspace.virginmedia.com/
    It's a bit old this site now, I'll need to start building a new one. So as you can imagine time is something that I don't have a lot of but I'll help out any MR2 where I can, I did make some panels for someone and Orion paint & bodyworks did a great job welding them in for them. If anyone would like the plans for the templates I could send them, or if I could put the pdf's on the site somewhere! this might help someone.
    Cheers.
    Trev

Trev,

I have to sat that would be incredibly generous. I can hand on heart say that this would save a lot of twos from the scrap man. I've turned down a couple if cars myself simply because the sill rears were too far gone. Or were they!?

Send Nik a pm - I'm sure he would be only too willing to host any documents in our download section.

Top work sir!

Chris.
    (A total bodger!)

sure thing email them to me and i will put them up in the downloads section. top generosity!

Many thanks for sorting that out Nik.
    Cheers.
    Trev

Thanks very much for putting your hard work into the download section for us all to benefit from Trev. Very kind.

I think I will be needing this information to put the MR2 back on the road after a long absence.

:)

This is awsome work! :thumbsup: Those would be worth laser cutting!

My car is definitly in need of some Sill repair on atleast one side.
    Don't shoot the messenger!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast