Thread: 3s-ge to 3s-gte

3s-ge to 3s-gte

Hi

My 91' MR2 sw20 is a 3s-ge engine and i'll like to boost him or swap to a 3s-gte engine.
    So my questions are:

- If i try to boost him i need to know if the pistons, crankshafts and connection rods are the same in both engines turbo and n/a, because if they are not the same parts, i dont know if the internals of my engine can support the turbo pressures.
    - what is better, easier and cheaper, swap engine or transform it? I mean, if i boost it, will need intercooler, intake/exhaust manifold, reprogramate ECU, probably some kind of sensores and pipes, just not talking if i really need the internal parts.
    - Next point is if you recommend the swap, where can i get some good engines in europe, and is it plug & play or need to mod the engines supports, if not where can i get good parts in europe too and if someone have done it and can show me a list of all components needed.

Thanks for all future answers
    Antonio Simoes

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Hi Antonio, don't even try to boost the 3s-ge, you will spend a fortune trying to do that and it makes no sense to do that when a turbocharged engine already exists that will plug straight in.

I can source and ship a full 3s-gte package to you if you are having trouble finding one, shipping will be expensive though.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Hi Antonio, don't even try to boost the 3s-ge, you will spend a fortune trying to do that and it makes no sense to do that when a turbocharged engine already exists that will plug straight in.
    Thanks for the reply

That cross my mind, and its a pity, cause i think and correct me if im wrong, but the 3s-ge engine its very slow for his hp, or maybe its just mine.
    So do you think in your opinion that the 3sge engine is a good one and with some upgrades it can be really fast or for more things that we do to him he is not even close to others n/a motors like honda, nissan, etc.
    If i will spent some seriously money on my car i want it to be worth and i dont know if i do not spent more money upgrading this engine to be a good one than buy a 3sgte and install it.

Thanks
    Antonio

Don't waste your money tuning the 3s-ge, you will spend a fortune and won't get anywhere with it, just install a 3s-gte or V6 and be done with it.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

oh god i really dont know what to think, i mean how further can the 3sge go and with at cost, troubles and parts.
    I think that if i change cams, manifold exhaust, exhaust pipes, good air intake and a ecu reprogramation it should be much more fast and get good HP.

buy whole turbo car and drive home. sell old n/a, wont be far off, plus all dirty work done.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Most the 3sge has gotten is roughly 190/210 bhp for quite a large outlay, I like some one who tries but this has been done before and people have found it expensive for not a big enough return, down side all top end and really having to rev it to go any were.

A 3sgte rev 1 gives 265bhp to start with and a rev 3 can be uprated for not a lot of money to produce 300+bhp.
    Or you could fit a v6 and get 200bhp or a mk3 1zz and fit a turbo and get 240bhp but will cost you mega bucks.

Or v6 2gr it 325bhp na mega bucks but very worth it.

This particular engine has undergone substantial development over the years, so the brake horse power it has will depend on its age. Standard two litre engines vary from 158 to 175 brake horse power.

However, this engine is a favourite of the modifiers and could, depending on the work done, be up to 200 bhp.

The most popular ways of boosting power without resorting to turbos or supercharging is to concentrate firstly on getting the engine to breathe more easily by fitting a sports exhaust and uprated sports air filter.

After that, the next biggest gains to be made in power are more expensive, namely having the engine management re-chipped and replacing the heads. Nitro systems are impressive but you always run the risk of over doing it and blowing the engine completely.

Just a bit of info found on a web page. hope this helps make the right decision and just get a v6

G

ok i get the message this engine is not great and best choice is buy a 3sgte or a v6.
    So who can help me with some stores that sell engines in europe, cause im not finding a lot and the only ones are in UK.

You will struggle to find one in Europe to be honest.

Like i said, i can source a full 3s-gte clip for you but the shipping will be expensive.