Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: intermittent idle problem

intermittent idle problem

hi all.

i have, twice now, had an idle problem on my mr2.
    it will start, and if i am quick to blip the throttle, rev, but it will die even if i try to hold the revs higher than idle.
    is there an idle control valve/idle speed sensor or the like which could be going duff? as i said, it is intermittent and has happened twice now - i want to try and catch it before it becomes permenant!

thanks in anticipation, stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by sturobturbo View Post
    hi all.

i have, twice now, had an idle problem on my mr2.
    it will start, and if i am quick to blip the throttle, rev, but it will die even if i try to hold the revs higher than idle.
    is there an idle control valve/idle speed sensor or the like which could be going duff? as i said, it is intermittent and has happened twice now - i want to try and catch it before it becomes permenant!

thanks in anticipation, stuart.
    have a read of my post here..
    http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...-C-V-I-P-S-mod

it is most likely the Idle control valve is gunked up inside and causing the idle to go funny and stall the car..

i was on the right path with my idea then... :)

many thanks for the reply and link mate.

stu.

Just to follow up, I modded the ICV with a pretty thin washer beneath the tab in the shaft and it didn't fix it.
    Going to take it off again this morning.

Thanks, stu.

I hope the washer wasn't thin enough to bend and let the iscv close up fully..
    Might be worth checking your dizzy cap and rotor arm...

i think they're fine from when i looked at them in the beginning, but no harm in checking them again.
    i don't think it was that thin; it wasn't a sh!te pishy thin one, it was a decent quality one, a bit thicker than the really weak ones.

going to pop it off again this morning, when i have recovered...

*edit* also, can someone clarify where the two small washers go back onto? the post just says they roughly go back on where you removed the screws from so i'm a bit unsure as to exactly where they fell off from as i removed them :( lol
    Last edited by sturobturbo; 29-04-2012 at 11:18. Reason: my retardedness

just a thought, after I had modded my iscv, I reset the ecu, and when I tried starting the car it did the same as you described in your first post. I had to try and start 4 or 5 times before it started properly and then it idled really low, turned off again and restarted, all was well after that. mine now idles at spot on 800rpm, even when cold It will start at 1100 rpm and instantly drop to 800rpm and sit there happily..

Hi stu,

Got a couple of ICV's here if you want to try swapping it out. It could always be the case that the valve or sensor is faulty?

Just a thought.

Chris.

my next port of call after this strip down and clean (oooo, kinky ;) ) was to replace.
    if they are serviceable, that'd be brilliant thanks mate.
    still need rev 3 lights?

stu.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Hi stu,

Got a couple of ICV's here if you want to try swapping it out. It could always be the case that the valve or sensor is faulty?

Just a thought.

Chris.
    whe you take them apart there isnt much to the iscv mate, worth trying to change it to rule it out tho.. but it seems more like it could be dizzy, rotor or even plug or even HT lead related, and

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast