Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda CRX V8 Swap - Not Mine

Honda CRX V8 Swap - Not Mine

One of my mates at work is currently undertaking this. I've suggested he's barmy and should sign up here but in his words "I don't do forums".

Anyways he bought a Honda CRX race car off ebay and then decided it was too slow and needed a bigger engine. So he ripped out the engine and set about trying to fit an Audi V8 lump into it.

The original plan was to cut the floor and put the Audi subframe in there and utilise the Audi suspension setup. That plan has changed slightly and it's now going to be a full spaceframed custom job using the Audi subframe at the rear and custom supension setup at the front.

The end goal is to have a V8 with supercharger installed at the rear running VEMS. He's hoping to get it running without the supercharger to race this year. Car is currently sitting on a custom welded jig with most of the floor cut out!

Photos :

Engine mounted on custom Audi subframe, note solid engine mounts! The subframe has been extended so that it will sit bang centre with equal length driveshafts.

Gearbox custom mount

Another view of the beasty

Engine custom mount.

Second engine with supercharger installed on it! This is to go on once the fabrication is finished and the engine is running.

Bloody big hole in the floor.

The roll cage and arches are to come out.

Side profile, the arches have been extended but the car will need to be extended by another 2'' either side!

Home made custom machined billet throttle body with two equal size large throttle plates to bolt on the supercharger.

Love it definitely subscribe to this thread.

great engineering going on here..aluminium is the future!

That's a whole mile better than i was expecting. Top work!

Amazing project! Would love to see more - particularly how he's gonna get airflow around that puppy!!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Subscribed, supercharging it as well, he's going to die lol.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

nice work on the throttle body
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Subscribed, supercharging it as well, he's going to die lol.
    I did suggest he might want to drive it n/a and get used to the power before he bolts the supercharger on there!!!

Progress update....

Floor, Arches, Bulkhead all gone, engine mounted on rear subframe and bolted onto rear spaceframe. The spaceframe will be welded in with some more supports and onto the rollcage and will have cross members down the side running up to the front bulkhead.

The subframe will bolt to the spaceframe, there are machined alloy plates to weld on to the subframe rounded ends, steel collars will be welded into the spaceframe and then the alloy subframe can be bolted through the steel spaceframe. Exhaust is from a lotus esprit... might be a bit loud!

Shot of the rear on the jig, the gearbox looks quite low here but its a race car so shouldn't be going over any speedbumps!

Rear wishbones and driveshaft temporary mounting.

Bloody big hole in the floor but you can at least sit in it now :icon_lol: The bulkhead will be going forward a foot or so....

Should be a progress update later on this week, the front suspension setup is getting assembled and then most of the front is getting cut out and spaceframed. Here's a shot to show what it looked like before it gets attacked with the saw :MK9523tn:

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast