Thread: Caldina transmission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caldina transmission

This is out of curiosity more than application, however i was curious as to if anyone had used the automatic caldina transmission into the mr2. For a lot of drag racers an automatic is not only faster but a lot less prone to breakage. Which brings up a lot of questions just how strong is the caldina transmission? whats the gearing? Will it fit with a 3sgte motor in the bay of an mr2?

I know its an AWD transmission, but a simple block off plate and that drive shaft will no longer be used.

Once again, this is more curiosity than anything, my mk1.5 is going the simple route with a standard transmission.

I don't see why you couldn't fit it in the mr2, lose the transfer box and prop shaft. And block of the transfer box section on the back of the gearbox.. I suppose u could always have a mk2 auto vox rebuilt with stronger internals and use that too..

The problem I've heard about the auto box from the automatic is that it is terribly weak, building it stronger would cost a ton of money, if parts are even available and don't have to be custom made. I'll be saving this transmission if i decide to get a little crazy and make something happen.

1mz Auto box from a camry is good and will fit. You may have to make a cut in the subframe / chassis rail to get it to fit though.

there is also a 2wd caldina, but as far as it goes Id say youd be better off using the normal sw20 auto.

no point reinventing the wheel...it bolts in, its as strong, if not stronger than the caldina one. and you should be able to find all the bits(selector cables, trans cooler(its the hockey stick coolant pipe on the leftside of the engine bay))
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine discussing this caldina transmission, so my ideas are getting a little more attention.

Sketchy do you think the automatic from the mr2 could hold upwards of 400hp? The caldina awd is similiar, if not the same to most awd toyota platforms (i.e. rav 4) and those all hold around 400 before getting a little sketchy (pun intended) maybe a few 500 hp runners, but things at that point are prone to breaking.

I will have to agree with you though, parts availability is worse than trying to find tits on a boar hog. I'm currently trying to find a decently priced gen 4 3sgte intake manifold without paying the rarity tax.

Has anyone driven an caldina or rode in one? I'm curious as to how that transmission felt and shifted and so forth. In America we have the convenience of not getting these cars :/

well several of my co workers have them...both are the 2.0g models(the 3sge/2wd versions. they go alright. but then they are manuals...)

they dont feel much different delivery wise to the mr2 auto's
    but then the caldina is a bit heavier..

as far as the sw auto, the biggest problem is keeping the heat out of it, as thats done by cooling the fluid. Im going to try the auto trans in the limo. so Im essentially building up to make it safe like I would for towing, big trans fluid radiator in the airflow at the front of the trans..I wont use the water jacket rould the coolant pipe like OEM

provided you can keep the fluid flowing, and inside the comfort zone of the trans(not so hot that you "burn" the fluid so that it will actually loose the properties that protect it)you would be safe at the well above the 300hp mark. but as I cant say Ive seen anyone run big numbers through one, bit hard to say much past that. only somebody like yourself prepared to take a chance will find out, but I could say that about a 2wd caldina box too. or even the 4wd box's for that matter.
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!