Thread: Any thoughts on a good suspension theory book to buy?

Any thoughts on a good suspension theory book to buy?

Good evening all,

New to these forums and looking to buy a Mk2 MR2 shortly, for a bit of fun.

Been reading a lot about various bits and pieces, especially around handling, etc.

Thing is, it frustrates the hell out of me that I can't make informed judgements, because I just don't know the basics well enough.

So, anyone any thoughts on the best book to describe suspension and chassis theory (tyres too, etc).

Looking for something that starts from first principles and then explains why current technology is used, the compromises, etc.

I'm not looking for a guide to setting up dampers, so much as one that describes how they evolved to be there and what problems the are trying to solve.

I know in bike circles they talk a lot about fast and slow compression damping, which doesn't seem as common in the car bits (because it's not as important or perhaps it's only available on very expensive stuff?)

Anyone got any ideas on a good book (or books) to cover this?

Thanks,

Ian

I dont known of any books that are up todate plus alot of them are how to setup for race circuits
    Its the same story really how hard ride u want or how low u want to go .

patrick( i have tein on my car inc front bars )

Almost a two year thread bump, but Carroll Smith's "Engineer to Win" is a pretty good read if you want to learn a bit of metallurgy, aerodynamics, and racecar design.

http://www.carrollsmith.com/books/ngner2win.html

Hi Ian,

Welcome to TwoBrutal!

If you're looking at getting yourself a nice Mk2, especially with suspension in mind (I'm assuming its something you fancy tinkering with) then I would suggest looking for a standard car that hasn't been modified or 'fecked about with' and make your own changes.

Mr2's handle pretty well anyway, so seeing what a standard car gives you first will give you a good idea of what, if at all, you want to change.

If you want to read up on suspension theory and evolution etc, then have a read here!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(vehicle)

Regards,

Chris.