Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3VZ-FE AFM / Air Filter Adapter Solution

Icon6 3VZ-FE AFM / Air Filter Adapter Solution

Hoping this little ramble proves useful to people!

This is the solution we have applied succesfully to both Pats swap (JapScrap) and my first swap (BBQ Edition). Its a bit of a bodge, but trust me it works fine and is very low spend. I'm about to do it again, which is why it seemed like an idea to document it.

The Camry 3VZ engine comes with one of these:-

The original airbox gets disgarded, its no good for performance and its as big as a house. I took some measurements originally and i still have this scribbled on the wall of my garage (The BodgeLair):-

After some digging around on ebay, i found this little fellow which is cheap enough:-

Here's the ebay link:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1203569699...84.m1438.l2649

These do need slight modification, the bolt holes are a bit snug so we just opened them out a bit with a drill. The centre opening is of course a bit small, but with a bit of patience with a grinding bob and a file you can make this almost the right shape. near enough anyway.

Next is an air filter. We use a nice big K&N style filter, and so long as you get somthing to fit the AFM adapter plate, it works a treat. I generally pick these up for under a tenner:-

For best results, you will need a small bracket from the AFM body to the top of the strutt just to stop it wagging about a bit.

Recently though i came accross this bit of plumbing (on the right hand side) which i think comes from a 3S-GTE. The plan is to cut this down to go between the plenum and the AFM to reduce the overall length, which means that the air filter doesnt end up right in the back corner of the engine bay:-

I will post a pic when i get that fitted, should be quite neat when completed.

Anyway, total spend about £20 by my maths, and very easy to replace when it needs a refresh.

:icon_mrgreen:

Chris.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Last edited by cdwood2010; 30-12-2011 at 19:16. Reason: cant bloody read it.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Fine work Sir Bodgealot :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I cut my rubber inlet pipe down, to bring my K&N out of the corner.

Lots of talk about shortening the inlet pipe, but I'm wondering about the logic. What would happen if the pipe was made much longer and the filter ends up close to where the fresh air comes in, near those vents on the side of the car body?

Good point Bri, Pat has been looking at a cold air ram setup to bring the cold air to the filter. The added bonus is that the same could cool the engine bay too.

Chris.

I didn't cut the pipe on mine, and my filter sits just above the air vent, I did contemplate moving the filter to the vent but since I've bolted it direct to the afm it will be staying there for now.. might fit a funnel to direct airflow towards it but by my guesstimate it will get loads of cold air where it is located at the moment..

good job man, stickied.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Right, quick update on this. Someone mentioned (speak up by the way) that the Mk2 turbo AFM adapter fits the 3VZ AFM, so being that kind of guy I went and bought this off of weebay for 10 earth pounds delivered:-

Removed the rather scabby air filter leaving this:-

Bolted it to the 3VZ AFM which bolts up perfectly:-

And not only that but it's much wider at the inlet end, giving that nice air ram profile, and close to perfect on the AFM bolt face:-

I think it needs a bit of a refinish - the inside is a bit pebble dash in my opinion, and it could do with smoothing out a bit. Plus there's a tiny step of about 1 or 2 mm onto the AFM opening.

The only down side is that this came with a custom filter that bolts to the back of the adapter, so I have no idea how or what can be mounted onto it.

But I will have a play and update!

Chris.

cool, but what air filters does it fit? will a mk2 turbo filter fit straight onto that pattern?
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

To be honest Adam I don't know, but if the stock turbo air filter assembly bolts in place then yes. Going to have a dig about to see whats around.

Chris.

Just bought this on eBay - £22 with postage.

Again this should bolt straight on to the 3VZ AFM.

C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast