Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2GRFE swap into Mk1a

I think the teeth won't engage with the flywheel that well, I could be wrong about the 2gr one but the sw20 starter works fine.

Just make Sure the alternator of the 2gr is good as there like $400 for a new one in the states and £800 for one over here as Lexus charge a fortune.

Ok, I've pulled the autobox from the 2grfe and done some comparisons with the flexiplate and the 3sgte flywheel. Teeth appear to be the same size, count etc - but they have a different kind of bevel at the edges. Looks like the 2grfe starter motor will work provided that the bevel doesn't cause any issues (all other dimenions are good). Saves me having to buy a 3sgte starter motor - plus the 2GR one is 1.7kw vs the 1.4kw 3S one.

My 2GR cut only has 60k KM on it, so hopefully the alternator will last a good while. I can't imagine there would be much load on it compared with the car it came out of.

Does anyone have any pictures of a modified 3sgte flywheel. I'm curious about the bolt holes as the 2gr has M10 bolts, and the 3sgte has M12.

Awesome, thanks for that.

Any reason you went with those bolts? most of the reading I've done has said that 4age bolts are the go?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinturion View Post
    Awesome, thanks for that. Any reason you went with those bolts? most of the reading I've done has said that 4age bolts are the go?
    Good question actually.

On our first swap we were told that those bolts were the best option, they just need cutting down a bit.

Basically we fit up the flywheel and measure from the bolt face into the back of the bolt hole and cut the bolts accordingly.

This gives you a custom bolt length that maximises the thread.

The top bolt is the new one, the bottom bolt is the camry auto bolt from what I recall. We fit a nut so we can cut a nice square end:-

The flywheel is centralised on the crank boss, so the bolts are purely to bolt it in place, not to set the position.

Chris.

Well, flywheel is all sorted. Just need to sort some pesky pressure plate bolts and i'm good to start test fitting (toyota nz has run out, and won't have any more for 3 weeks!).

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Pm your address and I'll send you some bolts

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Cheers Paul - I might swing by a couple of bolt shops this weekend to see if they can size up some bolts. From my research the bolts are m8x1.25x16mm and needs to be at least 10.9 metric grade + spring washers - does this sound correct?

fly bolts are m8? suprised at that :eusa_eh:.. the 3vz and 3sg and 1uz series use m10's .. by 1.25P.. measure up is a good idea. now the 4ag might have been something dinky like that..far too long ago to remember.
    Last edited by adamh; 28-02-2012 at 22:08.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast