Thread: Electric Water pumps

Icon3 Electric Water pumps

Now here's a really good idea, anyone tried this? the theory seems good to me:

Its an Australian company, who produce the Davies Craig water pump, and I can imagine with such hot air temps, something like this would be just the ticket. Being able to keep water flowing through the engine after shut down is a great idea.

Removal of the mechanical thermostat would also increase water flow, and the guts of the OEM pump (and/or pulley, but not sure of thats practical to remove, given the need for different cam belt length). Probably something to set yourself up for, before installing the engine in that case.
    Last edited by briweekes; 26-12-2011 at 12:05.

That is very interesting indeed. Can't imagine why it hasn't become the norm sooner.

I always wondered about flow rates given that they are rpm driven, as I know certain pumps perform better and more efficiently at a lower speed. Central heating pumps for example work better when set to a lower speed, as it gives the heat dissipation more chance.

I recall mr Woods identified that certain non Toyota water pumps moved less water at idle than the original items, causing a slight heat rise.

It stands to reason that a smarter way to move water around the engine would make a lot of sense.

Now who's going to buy and try!?

Chris.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Davies Craig!!!

Sorry couldn't resist..... as you were.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I ran a Davies Craig electric pump as a secondary water pump on my Roadster V6, it was set up to kick in on a thermo switch, basically when the thermostat opened. I also had a manual override so thje pump could be run whenever you wanted it. Never had any heat soak issues with that. :)
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!