Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3vzfe into rev2 mr2 no lights on dash or battery charge light, cranks wont satrt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3vzfe into rev2 mr2 no lights on dash or battery charge light, cranks wont satrt

hi

currently putting a 3vzfe into my 1990 mr2 hit a few snags on the wiring lol followed pauls guide to the letter but maybe i missed something? because the issues are

no lights on dash except non engine related ones e.g highbeam light is working and indicators etc
    but no cel or oil pressure light

engine is cranking but no spark or injector pulse but both coil and injectors have 12v on the white/red wire possibly ecu isnt switching them on?

if anyone has any ideas id really appreciate it thanks

only thing i could possibly think of is ecu not working? i know its getting 12v through the 3 black/orange lines on the 4th ecu plug does anyone have a pinout that shows the earth wires? or other 12v wires it needs so i can check cheers

Everything earthed etc, ECU and coil pack bolted down?

Chris.

coil/igniter is earthed multi meter confirms it when testing igniter housing against ground ecu isnt bolted onto the boot wall yet

Earth the afm as well.. and also check the 4th wire in the guide, I think there was a discrepancy.. also as per a recent issue, did u plug all the ecu plugs in.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ok if you followed the guide to the letter it 100% would have fired up, so you've made a fundamental error somewhere.

Let's go back to basics and i'm sure within a few posts i'll have it running.

Start with the CEL, that tells us either you haven't powered up the ECU properly, it has a poor earthing issue, or you have done it correctly but the CEL isn't wired up right, so i'd like you to check the following.

1. Pin 1,12 and 13 on your 4th ECU plug, do they show 12v with ignition turned on?
    2. pin 2 needs to show 12v constant with ignition on an off
    3. on your engine harness, have you attached the earths onto the Acis bolts? If you attached them to the rear cam cover then the ECU will have no earth path.
    4. Is Pin 4 on your 4th ECU plug running to pin 5 on your old Mr2 ECU grey plug? Test the Cel by grounding pin 4 on the 4th plug with ignition on and the Cel should light.

Once we have established the above 4 things we can move on.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

fianlly have some more time to work on my beloved two so wanting to get the wiring finished hopefully you see this Paul thanks for the help in advance :P

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Ok if you followed the guide to the letter it 100% would have fired up, so you've made a fundamental error somewhere.

Let's go back to basics and i'm sure within a few posts i'll have it running.

Start with the CEL, that tells us either you haven't powered up the ECU properly, it has a poor earthing issue, or you have done it correctly but the CEL isn't wired up right, so i'd like you to check the following.

1. Pin 1,12 and 13 on your 4th ECU plug, do they show 12v with ignition turned on?

yes have trsted and all show 12v with ignition on

2. pin 2 needs to show 12v constant with ignition on an off
    yup has power all the time

3. on your engine harness, have you attached the earths onto the Acis bolts? If you attached them to the rear cam cover then the ECU will have no earth path.

double cheked all earths and appear to be attached correctly

4. Is Pin 4 on your 4th ECU plug running to pin 5 on your old Mr2 ECU grey plug? Test the Cel by grounding pin 4 on the 4th plug with ignition on and the Cel should light.

grounding this out makes the cel come on

Once we have established the above 4 things we can move on.
    cel however doesnt light up when turning igniton on or at any other time when connected to ecu
    is it possible to check ecu earths with a multimeter? do you know what pins to check thanks :)

have sorted out all other issues apart from getting no spark and no injector plulse

have got voltage at coil and at igniter and have checked coil and distrubitor with multimeter to see if there in spec they appear to be so

thanks for the help because at this point im so lost lol putting the engine in appears to have been the easy part :P

pins 1 12 13 have 12v when key is on pin 2 shows a constant 12v

ive attached the main earth strap on the wiring harness to the acis bolt a contiunity test shows that it has a good ground one ground is bolted the the rear rocker cover but it came off the engine like that and its a ground strap/wire that is connected in the plastic harness body so assuming thats alright like that?

will test the cel tonight didnt have time before i had to start work

is there anything else i should check while im at it

thanks for the help guys id be lost otherwise lol

thought about paying someone to do the wiring but im determined to do it myself :P with some help of course

hey Spyderballer, I had the similar symptoms, and that was when I ONLY had the 4th plug in the ECU, the others were just dangling near it but not plugged in to the ECU- I was so focussed on that 4th plug! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by briweekes View Post
    hey Spyderballer, I had the similar symptoms, and that was when I ONLY had the 4th plug in the ECU, the others were just dangling near it but not plugged in to the ECU- I was so focussed on that 4th plug! ;-)
    Actually Bri when we built BBQ we were very upset that it didn't fire first go, then we noticed we hadn't plugged anything into the ECU.

We stood there pissing ourselves laughing for 5 minutes, then plugged the ECU in and off it went.

Then we couldn't turn it off again, but that's a different story!

Chris.

spyderballer wrote:[ no lights on dash except non engine related ones e.g highbeam light is working and indicators etc
    but no cel or oil pressure light

Did you do a continuity test between the green/white wires in the fusebox and the G/W wire at the back of the dash? per page 26 of the guide? I left that bit till last myself, as there were a few possible wires in the fusebox, but when I found the right one, I was in business. Maybe double check that

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast