Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone help with this problem

anyone help with this problem

hi got a mk2 with 3ltr v6 fitted one off pauls , due to health problems the car has nt been used for a good while , its been parked up with no battery , so put battery back in started car but its not charging , dash light are like a xmas tree . red bat light ,red engine man light , wee red light i ve never seen affore , so changed alternater , still not charging ,put original back in cause its giving me same reading as the new one. any ideas guys help its doing my head in

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Sam it sounds like alternator failure but very hard to say, if you can get the car down to me I'll sort it for you free of charge even though it was a vehicle sale and there's no warranty as such, don't want to see you stuck mate.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Paul,

If the alternator was swapped out and it's still the same, doesn't that point elsewhere?

Is it possible that there's water got in somewhere? Shorted stuff out?

C.

paul it isnt the yellow mk3 its the red ferr rep mk2

Indeed Chris, you're right (but don't let it go to your head :) ) , i didn't read Sams post properly, bit stressed at the mo, sorry Sam.

Sam it doesn't matter if it's not the yellow one, i'll still help wherever i can mate.

Ok some tests for you, grab a multimeter.

Take the plug out of the alternator and switch the ignition on, all three pins on the plug should show around 12v, please report back with the actual voltages at the three pins.

We'll go from there.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

ok paul cheers for taken time to help, right here goes
    yellow 0.71 v
    red 12,11v
    wh 12.13v

say the alternaters fek d make it easy

Right, your alt is fine Sam, you have a problem on that yellow wire.

It should be showing 12v with ignition on, so you either have a blown fuse somewhere or a wire break between the Alt yellow wire and the yellow going to the clocks. The yellow wire pops up in the engine bay fusebox, so try a continuity test from there to the alt plug, and from the fusebox to the clocks.

In the meantime to test things out you can supply a 12v feed to the yellow wire and you should see it start charging, that's only a temporary test though, don't be tempted to leave that as a fix.

cheers paul yer a top dog. will give that a try the morra night after work thanks bud

does the mk2 have a charge fuse?. if i shorted anything in the mk1 bay it sometimes used to blow the 5a charge fuse, battery would die quick (after a run ) powering the car with nothing bieng returned to it.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Ads, without looking at a diagram i believe the Alt sensing (white wire) is fused and the Ign+ (black/yellow) is definately fused, the problem is on the yellow wire but offhand i can't remember if that one is fused or not..... i mean obviously it's fused somewhere, every circuit on a car is even if it's going right back to the AM1/AM2 ones, but i can't remember seeing a specific fuse on that wire...... damn you i'm going to have to look at a circuit diagram now! :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast