Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: My new Mk1b!

Buy a cheap 3vz then and rag the arse of it Patricks done that for 3 years, or 1mz

Well, in a classic example of "do as I say, not as I do" I dragged home a rev1 3sgte, gearbox and driveshafts for it this weekend! A fair chunk of the fab work for the mk1 engine mounts has been done, and although it is not my ideal spec it was cheap and in one convenient package. Plan is to keep it simple with stock ecu, chargecooler and a little extra boost. Will start stripping the engine asap, got the sump off today and checked a big end bearing, it looks really clean. The downside is that the turbo is worn out but you always take that chance with s/h parts. Once I am sure the cam bearings and bores are ok I will start ordering some parts for it! Picturss to follow, everyone loves an engine build, right?

oh yes..... some of us seem to have permanent engine builds going on....
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Woohoo, another 1.5 joins the fold!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Got to love a well sorted 1.5 :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Well, I am powering through the easy bit! The head is off now and the block is stripped of everything except the rotating assembly itself. Everything looks great! No mucky oil build ups, cam bearings and journals are perfect, and cylinder walls show no scoring. Do any 1.5 owners have a view on a sensible power output? Obviously more is better, but I don't want to be worrying about breaking parts or boiling up. My plan was to keep it standard with a chargecooler for better heat management and throttle response, but now I need a new turbo anyway I am thinking of a hybrid turbo, rev3 fuelling conversion, and maybe some forged pistons? Plus rods, cams, nitrous, motec, extra engine in the frunk and a trailer full of dancing girls. You know how projects can get out of hand!

Maybe pics if it has worked from my phone...

Hybrid turbo leave the rest till funds allow then go rev3 then fully forged bigger injectors do it in increments.
    First really big upgrade I personally would do is fit a very good upgraded headgasket and arp head bolts that sorts the hg out then renew water pump and thermostat plus a new timing belt /chain and any tensioner if needed .

Time for an update! It's saturday night and my wife is due to go into labour any moment now, so nothing better to do than upload about six months worth of pics to this thread :)

I promised an update on the new tyres (AD08R) I bought for the car. They. Are. Awesome. It feels like I have doubled the cornering grip compared to the F1's. I have big brakes and yellowstuff pads, and once they got hot on track I was STANDING on the middle pedal and they refused to lock up. I had some pretty serious company on track at Bedford, and while I didn't keep up I certainly had a laugh!

I also got a ride in a Porsche GT3RS which was wonderful, so precise on track and felt like it would go on lapping forever. However, the sticky tyres gave me a major problem - I had bruises down both legs from try to brace myself in the (standard) seat, my arms ached for a week afterwards from hanging onto the wheel, and my hands were like claws. I also had the standard neck-crook which comes from squeezing one's 6'3" frame, plus skidlid, into an AW11 built for a 5'0" japanese guy. Inspired by the Schroth 6-point harnesses which I had been wearing in the GT3's carbon race seats, I went shopping. Picked up a just out-of-date FIA approved seat from a guy who rallies an AW11, and a new, boxed, but out-of-date six-point harness from ebay for a bargain price. (Dating only matters if you want to race, not for trackdays). Then I locked myself in the garage for three days, measuring and grinding to get everything just right and the seat mounted as low as possible.

I wanted the interior to stay as standard as possible, with carpets etc in place, and retain the option of bolting the standard seat and belts back in place. I kept the passenger seat standard as my 3-year old loves going for a cruise in the grey car :) The position of the mounting points for the belts are critical to ensure that if you crash, you don't slip out or end up with trauma from the belts loading the wrong parts of your frame. I mounted the seat in a spot which enabled two of the standard seatbelt mounting points to be used, and welded FIA approved spreader plates to the floor and firewall for the other two points. All the seat nuts and bolts are 10.8, with double-hard-bastard-strength threadlock applied as necessary, so I am happy that it's as safe as I can make it.

PS: I know a lot of people recommend only fitting harnesses if you fit a cage, but I thought long and hard about it and decided the risk of bumping my bare noggin on the cage in a road crash was more severe than the risk of rolling the car on track and squashing the roof down on top of me.

I also need to write an update on the engine. Strip down is complete, bearing wear throughout the engine was minimal, although the coolant had solidified in the block and waterpump. My diagnosis is a low mileage engine that has been left standing around for years. Unfortunately I found a nasty scratch on the wall of cylinder #2 :( .

I need to figure out where this pile of stuff goes as well!

My main area of expertise with cars is throwing good money after bad, so I ordered a set of Wossner low-comp pistons from the states, and had the block overbored to suit. They are low-comp (8.0:1) to minimise detonation risk on track and are all coated and lovely. Seems a shame to put them in an engine but they'd look silly on the fireplace. Other nice parts include ARP rod bolts and head studs (decided forged rods and ARP mains were overkill at my intended eventual 300bhp power level), rev 3 injectors, and an ST205 chargecooler with pump, swirlpot and Fiat rad. I had to mock it up to see how it looked, need to cut and reweld the outlet but I think it will help minimise turbo lag compared to a conventional intercooler.

Next job is to get the head skimmed and order the last few (!) parts I need - genuine gasket set, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, rev 3 metal HG, rev 3 map sensor, ST205 ECU (for chargecooler monitoring and pump control) and decide on a turbo.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast