Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Mk1b!

My new Mk1b!

I got this home today and I am pretty pleased with it. It's been on ebay for a couple of weeks I think, and the high mileage (140k) had put me off. The more I studied the pictures though, the better it looked. I love the colour, and I think it's pretty rare - certainly I don't remember seeing another Mk1 in grey/gunmetal/whatever-Toyota-call-it. It's had some welding to the pillars, and probably the rear arches as well, but it looks like a good job and the paintwork is very nice. Floorpans are good, sills look good, no rust around the screen or the sunroof. Oh, and it has electric mirrors, a nearly new genuine Toyota exhaust, and it was only ten miles from home!

Job list at present is:
    New bushes everywhere and maybe new springs/dampers
    Bigger rear ARB
    Tiny patches in drivers B-pillar and passenger A-pillar need welding
    Brake master cylinder has leaked and stripped the paint from the frunk - no rust yet though
    Replace stripe sticker on front bumper bar
    Replace top windscreen trim and a couple of its plastic clips which are missing
    Check drivers door alignment - it's catching on the wing as it opens
    Get busy with the Dinitrol/waxoyl/hammerite as required to keep it in good nick for as long as possible!

Proper brutalisation of it will have to wait until i can find a cheap donor car. Oh, and decide on an engine! I'd love to get a set of bronze japanese wheels for it, I've always loved them on a dark grey car, but I'd be looking at £750+ which is almost what I paid for the car! Perhaps someone could photoshop a set of these on for me?

Rota Grid V

Here's a couple of photos from the previous owner, there are 70 more at

photobucket link

Ooh, I like that color. Nice find!

That's a damn pretty looking one - You running it over winter or getting it garaged so you can get all the rust proofing done at your leisure?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

saw this on the fleabay very rare to find the gunmetal gay ones olly (charged) on here has a wide arch one in the same colour and has just sold an even rarer one in a metalic red tintop.

glad youve found us now slap a v6 or turbo or even a 2zz into it and some better brakes you wont beleive the difference in that extra umph gives you over the 4age engine mine felt tired and struggled to pull the skin of a rice pudding now it is like scary fast as a couple of porky owners have found out.

Def really really like that colour. Superb.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    That's a very smart Mk1 indeed, i love the gunmetal ones, jealous!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Thanks for the kind words folks, I had been watching it for a while but couldn't act on it until my old car had been sold. I thought it was bound to get snapped up, but I guess there aren't many buyers around this time of year. It will share the garage with my MkIV LS400, so once I've done the work I will have an old Toyota to suit every occasion! The plan is to do all the work over the winter, but I can't go mad on it as I am at home with my little boy at the moment rather than working so money is a bit tight. I did loads to my old white Mk1a (suspension and big brakes) and it was brilliant to drive, planned to do a 1.5 swap, but then it rusted out from underneath me. This one looks lovely, but feels like a wallowy pig in comparison, the white one was like a go-kart to drive.

What I hope to do is "reset" the mileage (not literally!) by doing the suspension work so that it drives better-than new. Then I can decide if it needs more horsepower; as much as I love the revs of the 4AGE it is sloooooow after swapping from a 300bhp/ton kit car!

Looks good, definitely the best colour!

If you have a gunmetal one with wide arches Ollie I would love to see a photo . . . I doubt mine would fit in the garage if I fitted some but I love the look.

Sure:

Has the Woodsport rear arches, front wings are standard..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast