Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wish me luck!

I'm no professional mate, but managed to do my swap in 4 weeks, with a limted set of tools, if I count in actual work time, it was probably more like 10 days to 2 weeks to complete the build, but took 4 weeks overall.
    I guess it takes as long as it does, stick to it, if you get stuck, ask and someone will advise, thats what the forums about..

Snowtigger,
    Agreed on the mk1 w/ r32, but that one has a 16v swap. It'll do!

Anyway, got my eyes on a good lookin turbo box, trying to source the avensis 5th gear, but diesel yotas are hard to come by. May have to order new. Also lookin for some st hubs. See my earlier post to make sure my shaft combos are correct?

Possible bite on my mr2...

It's an 87 with t-tops (my only requirement in the recipient), so I'm practically sold. The guy lives a little ways away, but he's about 10 mile from one of the biggest tourist towns in Florida. Long weekend away and a new car sounds very promising. Awaiting more pics, come daylight. Supposedly a little bit of rust, but if it's not too bad, I can try to either fill, or cut and fit a panel and fiberglass/bondo any seams. Needs clutch (who cares) and maybe a timing belt (non interference, right?).

Asking 1500.

Couple more mr2s I sent emails to, hopefully I'll get my hands on something soon.

Also, thanks for the well wishes MrT, it'd be nice to have it done in that timeframe, but I think I'll probably wind up stretching it out through winter. Good excuse to get out of the house for a while, I can't pass that up either! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Crippler7815 View Post
    Also, thanks for the well wishes MrT, it'd be nice to have it done in that timeframe, but I think I'll probably wind up stretching it out through winter. Good excuse to get out of the house for a while, I can't pass that up either! ;)
    a falling out with the wife is all the drive you need to get it done in next to no time..lol
    to be honest, this was ment to be my summer project, but after the breakup, I used it to focus my mind and got cracking with it..
    now I am bored with nothing to do, so its xbox, ps3 and just general moping round..lol

nice clean porker in there, nice bright work, thats a nice ride
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Okay so.

Found my first hitch. Went to throw it on the engine stand, and went to take off the torque converter, and saw this.

Yeahhh, I'm not a mechanic, or a Toyota tech, but I'd put money that they didn't weld that torque converter up at a dealership. I'm gunna try to get it cut up since I'm not saving it for anything. Anybody seen anything similar or know why anyone would possibly think that would be a good idea?

Also, what size allen bolt is that?
    Last edited by Crippler7815; 12-11-2011 at 17:39.

Bolt is a 8mm hex in the inlet , the torque conv is standard they are twore halves welded together to remove undo the brace under the sump at flywheel end you will see the lower part of the flywheel undo the bolts one at a time by turning over the engine(just the crank ,not the whole engine ) , get someone to hold the converter though as its very heavy .

Did you see the little brackets on the back? Are those just for like, spacing or no?

That's the stud welded to the torque converter, on the end is the nut you need to remove . All converters look like this

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast