Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MMaddict's Swap

Icon9 MMaddict's Swap

A couple months a go I bought the old 1mz of decipherer who had it laying around catching dust because he bought a 2GR in gouky's groupbuy.

Its not like I didnt do nothing all that time, its just that I decide to start a topic here today.

Old OEM headers

Valves and headbolts of the 'right' head

Registered till 19th of June

Wiring looms

Cams

Engine

Pistons and Crankshafts

Untreated

Treated

(not my welding)

Almost emptied out.

Crank

Powdercoated

Always Sandblast aluminum before powder coating! Even if It looks smooth and clean!

My ride :) (Bomex front Bumper for who wants to know)

:( Wrong oilpump, 97 vs VVT-i (anyone interested?)

Fidanza 130881

94 Taillight upgrade (that one light got replaced)

New Bi-Xenon Headlights

Carbon Fibre Gauge bezel

Some painting I did earlier today. (Heat resistant paint, finished in the oven)

Any chance someone could remove the sad face thats in front of the title? I dont know how it got there :P

Changing it to a smiley face will be cool aswell :P

When you post in advance mode there is a smiley section on the bottom called post icons, for some reason you got the first one, maybe it should be changed to a happy face

Looking wel prepared so far, definitely no lack of parts :thumbsup:

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Great project, the 1mz is my favourite engine, however this concerns me greatly...

Always Sandblast aluminum before powder coating! Even if It looks smooth and clean!
    This has destroyed more engines over the years than you would believe, even if you think you have cleaned every last bit of sandblast media and powder coat from the inside it only takes 1 particle of it to kill an engine.

Did you drill the baffles out? I wouldn't use those cam covers in a million years bud, honestly it's a killer.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Decipherer made a cover for the first cover and I made one for the second one.

And you'r totally right offcourse, You want no sand in it... after it got sandblasted it went in a special bath to rinse it for the powder coating, So if one slipped true Im hoping it got washed out. But Im quiet confided it was sealed of 100% while blasting it.

Example:

There is a Nylon/POM halfcirkle formed piece in the part where the camshafts comes out. and it has the rubber between the trespa and the cover.

For the powder coating I had the top sealed of the same and the bottem with aluminum tape.

I guess only time will tell if one slipped true or not.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Well it looks like you took every precaution before blasting, it should be ok, i've done this myself and still lost an engine though, so from about 5 years ago i stopped blasting covers completely.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Any chance someone knows what solution they use to rinse the fuel injectors? My dad has a small Ultrasonic cleaning bath I'dd like to use

If I'dd have to guess I'dd say petrol.

Another 1MZ exciting, what's your plans with the V6?, just dropping it in or going turbo?

I'd used fuel to clean your injectors, I guess just don't use any corrosive cleaners or you could send the injectors to be professionally cleaned and flow tested.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpitty1 View Post
    Another 1MZ exciting, what's your plans with the V6?, just dropping it in or going turbo?

I'd used fuel to clean your injectors, I guess just don't use any corrosive cleaners or you could send the injectors to be professionally cleaned and flow tested.
    It only has 60k in km's on it and everything seemed to be in good shape so I'm putting it back together as it was and might put a TRD S/C on it afterwards. As I'm in my last year of university it already is expensive enough. I rather also no push my luck since this is my first swap.

Knowing myself I will take it out of the car again in the future, to swap it with a 2gr or go forged + turbo on the 1MZ.

For now I enjoy seeing a corroded 1MZ turning back as new by my own doing. (will probably even look beter as ever)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Well it looks like you took every precaution before blasting, it should be ok, i've done this myself and still lost an engine though, so from about 5 years ago i stopped blasting covers completely.
    If rebuilding an engine would be that easy and risk free you mostlikely would be doing something else. :)

I Guess thats one of the things what keeps it satisfying and mostlikely makes it addictive/ challenging not?

Anyway, those covers where so corroded I had to blast it. (tried brushing it clean with a nylon brush but the pollution came to surface, had to peal/spray/ soak of the total layer of powder coating because it looked like sandingpaper)

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast