Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MR 2 Spyder 4th gen 3SGTE

MR 2 Spyder 4th gen 3SGTE

Ok so I finally started my project after a long wait from choosing an engine to swap in. I've decided to go with the 4th gen 3sgte. Now that I'm starting, I figured I'd keep everyone updated with P&P (Progress & Problems).

First issue, I was told by helpful folks at JE performance that I would need to use the mr2 (SW) shifter box. But after buying it :-(, I don't see the difference other than where the cables line up. I'm sure they have their reasons for using it in their same swap, I just dont see why. Any input?

Here's a link of their swap
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5342201&type=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    I'm afraid the folks at JE are wrong.

If you look at both shifters, the Mk2 one has the selector cable attached above the pivot point, on the Mk3 it's below the pivot, which reverses its operation, so if you push the stick forward with the Mk3 shifter it pushes the cable, on the Mk2 it would pull it.

Now this all depends on what you do at the rear, if you use the Mk2 shifter then you will need to use an Mr2 gearbox shifter setup at the gearbox end, and also use custom cables, Mk3 cables will be too long for that setup, and Mk2 cables will be too short.

The way i'd do it is to leave the Mk3 shifter in the cabin exactly how it is, use the Mk3 cables exactly how they are, but fit the Gt4 shift assembly (alltrac) onto the Mr2 gearbox (plug n play). Then modify Mk3 gearbox linkages onto the Gt4 shifter assembly so that it operates exactly how a normal Mk3 gearbox would.

We do this on our Mk3 V6 swaps.

Doing it this way keeps everything in the cabin stock, and keeps everything in the engine bay exactly how Toyota would do it. Trying to use the Mk2 shifter in the cabin is messy, over complicated, and won't work as well (we used to do it that way in the early days) but the method above is much much better.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I wonder what that inlet manifold is from?

155503_175722829120829_113509115342201_563813_7338359_n.jpg

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    I wonder what that inlet manifold is from?

155503_175722829120829_113509115342201_563813_7338359_n.jpg
    that inlet manifold is from the caldina gt4,
    it was fitted to the avensis shaped caldina..

Interesting, that'll be why we've never seen that in the Uk before.

Unless he has that GT4 piece already it is gonna be tough to find in the USA. Be a pioneer and stick an EB62 and that engine in there. Also has a LSD available now.

Ok thanks for the info. I'll keep you guys updated.

SPYDERMAN

Thats my car in the pict. the transaxle is from a 93 jdm e153 lsd. Je had to change gearbox, so it would shift correctly on left side.

Yes Paul - seen that inlet before... tis a beauty and makes a lot more sense to use in certain aspects. Nice SMCC for example :D .... But alas, not that readily available over here :(

Shall be an interesting project - particularly with the EB62 :)

He's not using the EB62, I was trying to talk him into using it.

Paul, would that more compact transaxle eliminate the need for the chassis notch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast