Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E51 lsd shafts

Icon12 E51 lsd shafts

Hi all,
    Just after some advice.
    Are the e51 lsd shafts different to e51 non lsd shafts?
    If i can get hold of a e51 lsd box do i need e51 shafts to run it? or can i modify my e51 non lsd shafts??

Cheers,
    Tom

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    We are just talking about the inner tulip joint here rather than the actual shafts, the shafts themselves will work on either gearbox, so it's just the output tulips you need to change. From memory they are different on the tulip itself but the good news is i think you can use a pair of Mk2 Mr2 turbo inner tulip joints which the E51 shafts will bolt to.

The difference between the two tulips is the length of spline between the inner spring clip and the end of the shaft.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Ok so just to clarify? Both these are axles being sold as "LSD" axles however i think someone may be telling me lies.
    Thanks heaps Paul! Champion :D :D

Am i correct?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Is this right?? Just want to clarify?

Just for a bit of extra clarification what Paul mentioned refers to the axle half-shafts for the oem installed lsd's. Aftermarket lsd's are all (I think) designed to work with the non-oem lsd half-shafts. So if your car happened to have oem lsd axles, and you wanted to replace a worn oem lsd with a new aftermarket model, you would probably have to change axles/half-shafts.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Quote Originally Posted by tpbock View Post
    Ok so just to clarify? Both these are axles being sold as "LSD" axles however i think someone may be telling me lies.
    Thanks heaps Paul! Champion :D :D

Am i correct?
    Yes totally correct, also Fab4mr2s post is worth bearing in mind.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

the right one is completely same?The only difference is on the left one? My real problem is that I have bought a trd diff for an e153 to fit to my e51 gearbox. My car is daily driving so I cannot dissambly the gearbox only to test if the inner small shafts are sitting properly (this will be my last solution). Could you please help me.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitriske30 View Post
    the right one is completely same?The only difference is on the left one? My real problem is that I have bought a trd diff for an e153 to fit to my e51 gearbox. My car is daily driving so I cannot dissambly the gearbox only to test if the inner small shafts are sitting properly (this will be my last solution). Could you please help me.
    Well you might have an issue in this regard: TRD once made oem lsd replacements (which would also use the oem lsd specific axles), as well as non-oem lsd's (which would use oem non-lsd axles). I think their oem lsd replacements have been discontinued for some time. If you bought the TRD lsd used you need to know which one it is, though I am fairly sure that TRD only made helical oem lsd replacement units. So if it is a clutch type it is likely a typical after market type that is compatible with non-lsd axles.

Its a new clutch type trd lsd with part number 41301-SW211, but trd gives 41301-SW202 for e51 gearboxes,trd gives 41301-SW211 for 3sgte e153 gearbox and 4agze corolla gearbox. I bought it new thinking that the only thing I have to replace is the the speedo gear and speedo gear snap. I was pretty sure that this was that this was the only difference. I think that it will fit. I cannot see any other difference and any other reason not to fit with the non lsd tulips. The lsd tulips seems to have bigger ^^^^^^^ grooved area, except the left side a bit longer tulip, but this seems not to make a problem at the fuctionality of the clutch type lsd.Also kaaz and quaife gives the same part number of lsd for both e153 and e51 gearboxes and doesn't refer anything about changing the tulips from non lsd to lsd conversion. Also trd doesn't refer anything for changing the tulips from non lsd to lsd. The problem is that I have no chanche to test it ( it will take me time to take the gearbox off of the car and disassembly it and then assembly and put it back) so need to be sure that it will fit. any opinions would be helpfull. Please if anyone have experience or any other advice or info please help........................................

http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts...echanical.html you can see at this link that in the applications that need some exchange parts to fit it is referred at the notes column on the right.

If it had been the 41301-SW202 I wouldn't have worried about it as the late TRD lsd would have not been an issue, as opposed to a possible earlier version for the same model. As for the 41301-SW211, however, I am not sure simply because I don't know if the later year 3sgte differentials can be directly swapped into the early year 3sgte or E51 models, with or without additional parts. The early year 3sgte differentials are definitely no problem, as I have a Quaife in my E51 that fits it or the early year 3sgte's no problem, but I have never researched the late year 3sgte versions for any kind of compatibility. Do a bit of googling on compatibility between early and late year 3sgte versions, and you should be able to find the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast