Thread: 4AGE Tuning

4AGE Tuning

Ok, I know this won't be as cost affective as a engine swap and will be a little pointless in doing but think of this as a technical exercise for myself.

I want to tune a NA 16v 4AGE engine. I hope to get the output to around 170-180bhp but I have no REAL knowledge of engines and specifics such as measurments.

The way I was hoping to get to this power was going to be the following.

uprated cams, springs and valves (unsure what exact specs will be useable for day to day driving)

more efficient exhause manifaold (unsure where to get this but I assume there is one that will allow gas to flow a little better)

Forged crankshaft, hight compression pistons and lighter forged conrods.

ITBS

lightened flywheel

hight output fuel pump

Ok this is where I'm asking for help and advice with the technical side, I have no idea about the engines details.

I get the basics of how they all fit and work together but when I look for example a crankshaft it says
    "Stroke: 77mm

Max HP : 1800HP"

Is that stroke size right for a standard MR2 4AGE? because it can handle a greater power can I make the engine rev higher?

As for pistons, what sizes do I need? How do new pistons increase pressure? If I have higher lift Cams and taller pistons will my engine eat itself?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid post but this is going to be something I plan to build over the next few years for putting in the MR2 when it's rebuilt. The car would be 90% road use so I would like to keep it with a decent amount if not higher low down torque and higher revving higher powered top end.

I'm looking to do all the work myself just to see if I can do, please give me any advice possible.

Thanks

Liam

Get a 20v instead or save some money up and fit a scion supercharger kit.

The amount of money your going to spend will be horrendous for such a nominal gain, and trying to retain roadability with lumpy cams and high comp pistons will be very hard.

It's not that it shouldn't be tried as some have done turbo 4aged and others have run itbs , if you have enough fundage any thing is possible hell a 180 bhp na 4age would be fun but it will probably all be at the top end of the rev scale as I think you will loose torque and power low down.

A lightened flywheel should be added to the list along with a link g4 ecu.

Sent from the arse end of nowhere/another planet.

170+ from a 4age n/a possible but your looking at a 10K engine, cheaper and easier to go the 20 valve or supercharger route, or better still 2zz instant 190 hp and a 6 speed gearbox with 220 possible with a supercharger.

Can I suggest reading 4 Stroke Performance Tuning by A.Graham Bell its available online and is an excellent read :

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11433843/4...heory-Practice

Even thou 4age has pretty good aftermarket support (thank you ae86 :D), building a high power n/a engine requires skill and lots'o'cash, and lots more skill if you want to make it drivable on the lower rpm range.
    20v black top is your best option, pretty much already has most of the "features" that you seek for ;). Thou in my opinion the 2zz would be the best swap for an mk1, too bad that the swap itself seems to be a more complex one, but if done right its just pure awesomeness :D

It is possible to get some decent HP out of the 16v bigport but it cost .... i do believe its cheaper to get a black top ....
    I have done that myself ..... I have a completely standard bottom block .... then the head has been worked.... valve springs ... camshafts (288 8.5in and 272 7.9ex), itbs , outboard injectors and megasquirt ..... here is the result .... ( a standard 4age measured 114hp just before mine was measured .... so this rolling road its the shy type.)

and as you can see there is more torque than standard on all the rev range ... so its still a drivable car