Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what do i need to put a turbo on my v6

what do i need to put a turbo on my v6

hi all im now lucking at putting a turbo or twin on my camry v6 mr2
    what turbo should i get and what parts any advice would be lovely the v6 was done by mr woods about 4 years ago and i bought it off paul at the start of the summer.

More power captain!

I like your style!

:)

Chris.

Mls headgaskets as soon as you wind up the boost they are the first things that will go pop, a single big low blow turbo would be a great starting point with some uprated injectors and a link g3/4 ecu to control fuel and ignition.

There are a few who have done this use search and ye shall find, a word of warning though it can start getting very costly very quickly as manifolds and pipe work are just some of the hidden costs.

Or you could wait for the scion supercharger kit to become available.

Sent from the arse end of nowhere/another planet.

how close is the supercharger to being done and is there no easy kits i could buy for the turbo or supercharger as i want more power to my engines lol scotty

SC is work in progress with no eta (as far as i understand it). And i know from experience turboing the 3vz can get costly. Here is just a short list:
    -MLS head gaskets
    -ARP headbolts
    -Decking the block (machinework = $)
    -Bigger injectors
    -Upgraded fuel pump
    -FRP
    -Oil filter adapter + ss lines + fittings
    -Water lines if the tc is water cooled
    -ECU or piggyback
    -Custom manifolds
    -AFR meter + wideband 02 sensor
    -Dyno time + programming
    -Intercooler + pipes
    -TB decal

And lots more that i cant remember right now, all in all its a lot of stuff and a lot of work.. For a cheap and cheerful build check Pauls work on Woozy's car, he did the first ever affordable turbo v6 conversion!. There is some money to be saved by using a CT20 charger from turbo mk2, building headers out of steampipe etc. If you're budget is a bit bigger you might want to check 3VZ-FE build. Its a very impressive build and reached some pretty mental numbers, a must read that one!

thanks for the info will read and scratch my head on what is the best route to take

What do you want to achieve power wise?

Anything north of 350hp will need major internal work (pistons and rods)?

The Scion SC kit is is about 3 months away from a running version. I have all the bracketry done and a little more work to do on my engine. Hopefully november time i'll be trailering her down for a full geo setup then off to Sumo Power (possibly) for wiring and mapping.

The kit though is a slightly different route. I am using the simple route of intercooling but i believe Paul's kit will include a chargecooler. Obviously it's not major work for the man but it's still work he has to do. Needless to say the brackets are all done so that's one thing Paul doesn't have to do.

We now have a line on MLS gaskets specific for the 3vz from Cometic.

Oil feed & return are pretty simple to sort.

Then one of my big concerns (whether turbo or SC) with the V6 is the restrictive intake. For this i am making a whopper and hopefully will overcome it.

i defiantly want a kit so if anyone points me in the right direction i will buy one when the times right what u guys do is very amazing

hi all nearly Christmas so its mid November is anyone close to having a turbo or sc kit ready or were i can start buying bits from that wont brake my bank

Hey man,
    Been doing some research on turbos lately, I'm putting a 3vz and had planned on going turbo.

Here's a cool little turbo calculator I found, I have all the 3vz info plugged in, all you gotta do is start clicking on turbos to see where the motor falls in the efficiency range.
    http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/...9&map_sel2=106

If you know how to read a compressor map, you should be good to go. If not, check out garrett's website, they have all the basics for it.
    http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygar...bo_tech_expert

I found the Garrett GT3076R and the Borg Warner KKK K27 were some of the best options for making an easy 300 while still staying in the efficiency range for the turbo. Plenty of room to grow too, but kinda small for 400+ hp applications.

Shoot me a pm if I can give you a hand with anything man!
    Shawn

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast