Thread: Mk2 Service at higher mielages

Mk2 Service at higher mielages

Guys, I'm within spitting distance of finally being able to buy a mk2 NA 3S-GE.

Plan is to run as is for a while before a later V6 conversion, (the fuel cnsumption has become kinda important!)

All the ones I am looking at are 90,000 to 140,00 miles.

I know the cambelt is changed at 60,000.. does that indicate should be changed again at 120,000??

anything else major?
    my eyes are red looking at forums

Dont tell me about ditch the 4 pot, yeah i know just give Paul the money for me!!!

ta

Doing the same with The Black - I even replaced the fooked engine with another 3S-GE just to get it mobile etc!

Unless you have documentation so say when the cam belt was last changed, my rule of thumb is take the cover of and visually inspect it.

Rotate the engine manually and look for ANY signs of wear or damage.

If in doubt, swap it out.

If it looks new / sound, then roll with it.

Let's face it, it's not a huge job to put another 3S-GE in there if the worst happens!

Chris.

And check the sills towards the back. That seems to be the first place rot shows up.

It's not a car killer, but unless you are a demon welder, it's hassle plus money.

Better to spend a bit more on a sound shell with a blown engine or suchlike.

Chris.

Like Chris said, check the belt for cracks and make sure it isnt dried out, i would probably replace it anyway after 60K but its not the easiest job, mainly due to a lack of space.

I'm selling a rev3 n/a auto with around 112k miles on the clock just bought a new car so I'll do you a good deal on it if you're interested?

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...Sale-Rev3-Auto

thanks mate, I looked at yours several times and you are not far from me at all, but lack of a hole in the roof plus eventualy decided prefer manual even though a V6 with your tiptronic sounds marvelous, perhaps my second MR2...

just been & bought my first!!!

Nice! What did you get in the end?

Big yay!!!!

Get some pics uploaded!!

:)

Chris.

Congrats on the buy mate!

thanks lads, at last I will be able to feel like one of you instead of a peep show freak!

I bought an azure blue 1998 T bar NA Uk supplied mk2 with reasonable history & 128000 miles, not everyones favourite colour but i like it and having seen what Mr2big went and did, (doubt will ever get that far but an inspiration all the same).

best thing for moment is lower fuel bills and getting to know what i have been coveting for last 18 months
    wheels werent perfect but are fine for winter

The stearing & gearshift were heavier than i was expecting, to hear you lot talk about lardy Mk2's i was expecting something less go cart like, got used to it real quick

seemed very clean, just saw first hint of rust in mentioned area above, no receipt for cambelt just the A & B services main dealer, ran sweetly, nothing i could detect in half hr test drive, except faintest sound of wear in engine or suspension mounts or possibly a bearing somewhere but may have been just suitably paranoid after the last car!

will get some pics when i get it next weekend

next, get all the necessary jobs sorted, then wheels and sides, then a little work in the interior, then Paul is V6ing it, he just doesnt know it, but a way off yet, then the world... i think thats the order we agreed!