Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust-free Mk1s, do they exist?

Rust-free Mk1s, do they exist?

After a long time without a Mk1 I am thinking of returning to the fold. the reason I got rid of my last one was because of rust issues, and my current car (Fisher Fury) is all GRP so that is not a concern! The way I see it, there are two options.

1) Buy the cheapest half-decent MR2 I can find and a new bottle of gas for the MIG welder. Guaranteed to improve my welding technique, and leaves some money in the budget for spraying the thing once I've patched it up.

2) Buy a "cherished" Mk1 for £2 - 3k and hope there is no hidden rot in it. Obviously I would be happy to keep on top of waxoyling it.

The problems I can see are buying something that's so rusty it cant be repaired, or spending a lot of money on a car which looks great but is a timebomb underneath. I would rather buy a decent one and devote my energies to mechanical improvements, but I'm not sure if there are any decent ones left!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    The chassis on a Mk1 is the whole value of the car, forget about all of the mechanicals, go purely for as rot free a shell as you can find. My own Mk1 is 100% rot free and waxoyled to death.

The rot is what will eventually kill them all i'm afraid.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Yes, they do exist, I have two rust free tin top mk1s in fact. I could be forced to part with one if the price is right!
    Last edited by Charged; 19-09-2011 at 11:09.

Only the Fury body is GRP. I have seen some lethal Fury frames but it is relatively easy to put a new frame into a tired car. A rusty Mr2 however is dead - permanently. I know it is heresy here but I would stick with the Fury.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    LOL! Where'd that come from?

Welcome to TB John, awesome first post :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

thatb first post was very informative, it gave a detailed and exact in depth opinion on the state of the car industry and merits of kitcar ownership.

personaly half the fun is owning a car which there is not a lot of them on the road so mr2 and fury both fit the bill.

The Fury is brilliant fun, 170bhp and 600kgs with 888 tyres means it has embarrassed some decent cars around Bedford GT circuit. However, on the road it's draughty (no windscreen), hopeless in the rain; and difficult to drive hard enough to get heat into the tyres and make it come alive.

I had just as much fun on the road in my AW11 (standard engine, big brakes and new suspension), and I am not able to do many track days now so the Fury never gets used properly.

Am I right in thinking that a bad Mk1 is essentially unrepairable, no matter how much time, love and mig wire you put into it? Obviously arches etc can be repaired easily, but which parts are the "car killers" once they start to dissolve?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam W View Post
    but which parts are the "car killers" once they start to dissolve?
    Rust around the front ARB mounts can be pretty catastrophic

Get two! a cheap rusty one for winter and a minter 3k one for summer.

Then you can spend the summer doing up the crap one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast