Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C52 Gearbox - different ratios?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Indeed as Marc says the EB boxes are your only current 6 speed option, but involve a lot of mods, no starter motor location, linkages etc etc

I'm going to look into the possibility of mating an S series bellhousing onto a C series gearbox, it might require a lot of custom machine work, but if it can be made to happen then a 6 speed option will be quite simple, but i suspect it won't be anywhere near that easy and there will also be a big question mark over its strength being used on a 3s-gte or V6.
    Paul, you're confusing the EB for the EA. the ea is what's available on your shore. the EB is used in the 2010 camry and the scion TC here. it's a bolt in affair on the clutch, the hydraulics work and the internals look like they'd handle a normal 2gr-fe.

see here for more info: http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/sho...ation&p=242350

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ah my mistake, i'm not fully clued up on the EA/EB gearboxes yet.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

no problem. the eb boxes are starting to show in junkyards as available and since i don't need to babysit the yard to make sure they don't break a dozen sensors i should be able to get them quite easily. the going rate seems to be $800-1000 (usd) but shipping isn't going to be cheap unfortunately.

as for waiting for a lotus ea box that won't be very usefull. all they do is machine a hole in the bellhousing on the stock EA unit and add a spacer that adds bolt holes for a starter. the spacer will widen the engine/trans combo by about an inch which really isn't acceptable in the MR2 chassis. you can see it here:

Why not build a 6 speed Frankenbox (sorry Marc i stole the name buddy!) using the following....

Mk1 bellhousing
    Celica 6 speed centre casing and 6 speed internals
    Mk3 Mr2 LSD unit with Celica bearings/crownwheel fitted
    Mk3 Mr2 6th gear set

I've built a few of these now and it gives the best from all C series boxes available, a 6 speed LSD equipped gearbox with a nice tall 6th, perfect.
    Paul, did you use the Celica 'box because it has the selector mechanism on the same side of the box as the C52? I swapped the C52 selectors to the back (diff side) of the MK1 'box using Carina parts to give me more room at the front of the engine for the radiator. Am I right in thinking the MK3 MR2 6 speed 'box has the selectors on the diff side?

Also, is the 'Frankenbox' longer than the C52, as I'm a bit tight for space in the mini :-)

As for the cost of a WS Frankenbox...

Mk1 bellhousing.... Use the one you have now, so free.
    Celica 6 speed centre casing and 6 speed internals.... Under £200 gets one if you look hard enough
    Mk3 Mr2 LSD unit with Celica bearings/crownwheel fitted .... £100 for a scrap Mk3 5 speed (Uk model only, import MrS may not have LSD)
    Mk3 Mr2 6th gear set... £100 brand new from Toyota for the pair, but you can just as easily use the Celica 6th pair.
    Would I be able to use the mk1 bellshousing and all the rest from a mk3 ?
    I would not have a 6th gear but I would have short ger ratios for 3th and 4th and a shorter final drive and a LSD.....
    It would be a great upgrade and a cheapper one ....
    would the clutch fit ? what about the driveshafts ? linkages ?

sorry about all the questions. :) cheers

anyone knows this one ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123