Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Our 2nd 2zz-ge Mk1 build

I like that a lot - where did you source it? Or did you have it custom made?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

It was a custom job, cost me a few quid and I ended up with a few as there was a minimum order, not a big member so not going to advertise them here.

I should also say I'm still loving the 2zz conversion.

Recently meet Rexer2000 who unfortunatly had to sell his AW11, he's got an S2000 now and I've also just sold a 54 plate S2000 with 38k. While the engine in that is mind blowing we both agree the handling on compliance of the MR2 is far better and to about 80mph there's no difference in aceleration between the two cars. after 100mph the S2000 leaves the little 2zz AW11 for dead. But I voted with my feet sold the S2000 for a tidy profit and kept the MR2.

Just tried to PM you some q's Perculis but your inbox is full :)

Jumpman33 asked me some questions thought I may as well share the answers

I'm split with the conversion in some situations the original 4-age was better as you could drive it at 100% on the road the 2zz has much more on tap so you don't get so much chance to use it fully. That said I don't regret it one bit I've driven v6 conversions and they don't do it for me, they kill the go kart feel. This isn't a MK1.5 or MK1.6 it's just a MK1+, brilliant unspoilt handling with enough of a power increase to be a sleeper. 0-60 less than 6.5 seconds 0-100 about 14 seconds. and as all the power is at the top end it's a kitten to drive if you keep it off the cam and change up before 6200RPM

Two things I'd consider if I was to do it all again: either buy a standard 4-agze supercharger, it'd be cheaper and hold it's value better or go for the supercharged 215BHP 2zz-gze corolla compressor engine. The 4-agze could benefit from Pauls 6 speed conversion but you could get a car and do that for 7k. The 215BHP engine would allow a longer final drive to improve economy on big runs it'd also smooth out the torque curve and increase performance, Paul put one of these in a MK3 and it was a hoot of a drive.

I spent 3.5k on the car and another 4.5k on the conversion so it's not cheap but I've had a great time with it. My friend has a gt86 that I get to drive quite a lot and I'd consider that if I only had one car but I've got a big bus for everyday and winter use. The MK1 has so many good points.

Quote Originally Posted by PERCULIS View Post
    Two things I'd consider if I was to do it all again: either buy a standard 4-agze supercharger, it'd be cheaper and hold it's value better or go for the supercharged 215BHP 2zz-gze corolla compressor engine. The 4-agze could benefit from Pauls 6 speed conversion but you could get a car and do that for 7k. The 215BHP engine would allow a longer final drive to improve economy on big runs it'd also smooth out the torque curve and increase performance, Paul put one of these in a MK3 and it was a hoot of a drive.
    He's already done a supercharged 2zz MK3! (is there any conversion he hasn't done yet?). The charger is a bit inefficient on the the Corolla with a lot of people going for a rotrex charger instead.

Love your summary too, really glad to see that car is still owned and obviously loved. I personally don't give two hoots about the cars "value" - I build for myself, and the chances of me ever selling them are so small, its micrometer time!

Whilst the engine is an absolute peach, its the gearbox that helps it shine; I had the longer 6th added to mine so cruising is fairly relaxed affair. Tootling around town, you'd never know the car has a different engine; but when you need to go, the box ensures you get every bit of joy out of the engine. And that, for me, is where the v6 conversions need looking at; There's not really a "perfect" matched gearbox to allow them to make use of their power.

I agree Jiff, I've got the longer 6 too.

I'd love to see your car some time, is there a build thread?

How many 2zz Mk1s do we have now? last time I checked Paul had done 4 and one of those was headed for France. Rexer2000s car, the Blue one is still around but owned by someone else. Not sure about Peter Scratchard's Little Red Racer I've not had any contact with him.

Oh my 2zz lives in my MK3! I've not seen any other Mk1 Conversions since the 4 that Paul did; I think the problem is that Mk1 owners are now hanging on to their "original" mk1s, rather than re-inventing them!

I'll be at JAE if you want to come compare drives though?

Had a Mk3 SMT a few years ago, nice handling car but where's the boot!!!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast