Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Our 2nd 2zz-ge Mk1 build

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Even if i had to use another adapter i don't think the oil pressure sender would have been a problem, Marks incident was a total one off, but it is nice that yours just screwed in.

I'm updating the thread in a mo when i've uploaded pics.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Today i completed the gearshift cable bracket, a different design to the previous effort, for no other reason than i like to try new ways of doing things.

This bracket bolts to the slave cylinder holes and does the same job as a stock Mk1 bracket would...

You can see i've added a tab for the clutch flexi line so that all bolts up OEM and made a new flexi to slave hard pipe...

It selects all 6 forward gears and reverse effortlessly and we got the clutch bled too which is all working like it should. There is also a clutch line adapter in that pic above that steps the Mk1 flexi down to the Corolla size fitting.

The driveshafts are also fitted, we went for the tried and tested Mk2 NA ones, although one day i'd really like to get a supported shaft setup onto one of these.

Tomorrow will see the exhaust manifold tackled, that is a full day job on its own with lots of support bracketry.
    Last edited by Paul Woods; 24-08-2011 at 19:09.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

That's coming together quick.

I'd have been tempted to try the supported shaft setup if I'd had the supercharged 2zz or if we'd got more time. but as I'm keen to get some use out of the car before it gets cold( I plan to keep this car off the road and out of the salt over the winter) I asked Paul to keep it simple and use the mk2 n/a shafts which were used on Mark's car (rexer2000)

Paul
    You can do the supported set-up on your 4-AGZE Paul. Hope we'll see some updates on that once mine's out the way :thumbsup:

The expansion bottle pipe is now done, i use the old brake servo pipe for this, bend it into a new shape and route it along the rear firewall, seeing as it's already a Toyota part it helps keep that OEM look. It also means the expansion bottle keeps its original position and we can use the Mk1 one.

I've buried the fuel pressure regulator behind the battery tray out of sight in an effort to improve the factory look. We always try to find new ways to do things on our conversions, no doubt the next 2zz Mk1 i build will be different again.

The radiator pipes and heater lines are also done, and i've made the filler pipe Y that is needed so we can fit a Mk2 filler neck assembly, this Y also houses the dash coolant temp sensor and has a separate earthing point on it too (seeing as it's joined to rubber on all 3 joins). With the cooling system complete i've filled it with coolant to start the bleeding process well ahead of startup.

Jobs left to do...

Exhaust manifold
    Battery stay
    Induction pipework
    MAF adapter
    Exhaust system
    Wiring
    Heatshielding
    Gearbox oil/Engine oil/Filter

What exhaust are you going for Paul ? I seem to remember that the sporty (tubular) exhausts you can get for the 2zz-ge won't fit in a Mk1 chassis ?

Indeed, the tubular manifolds out there are designed for the Corolla and Celica, so hit the crossmember of a Mk1. The only other tubular exhaust available is a totally shit quality item that is made for the roadster conversions. We tried using one of these on Marks car and it fractured twice, even with a support bracket, the tubing used was paper thin and narrowed down to nearly half its original diameter in places, needless to say we won't be using those ever again.

On that note (in true Blue Peter stye), here's one i made earlier! Today was manifold making day, which is a big part of a 2zz Mk1 swap. This manifold is basically a 2zz header flange and the rest i made from a Mk2 3s-ge tubular manifold by cutting up its pipes, shortening them and routing them accordingly into a single collector and then into a 3" flange. I've also heat wrapped the entire manifold. The only thing left to do to this is add the support bracketry onto the engine. I think it has worked out pretty well, much stronger than those shiney but shit quality ones.

The priorities for this manifold are that is it very strong, doesn't fracture and flows pretty well, mission accomplished i reckon.

The downpipe to rear silencer section is being made next, i'm putting a much longer than normal flexi section in there as this car has softer torque mounts than Marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Indeed, the tubular manifolds out there are designed for the Corolla and Celica, so hit the crossmember of a Mk1. The only other tubular exhaust available is a totally shit quality item that is made for the roadster conversions.
    What did Lotus use on the 2zz-ge in the Exige and the Elise ?

Is this the shiny achey, breaky one ?
    Last edited by Gary.H; 26-08-2011 at 22:16.

No that's not it, also i don't see how they can advertise that as fitting a roadster because there is nowhere for the supported driveshaft to fit... those pipes are running right where the shaft and its bracket goes.

2zzmr2hdr.jpg

This is the garbage one... the pipes are VERY thin and it cracks at both the header flange and lower flange and has no support bracket, i wouldn't use it for holding a door open.

$(KGrHqJ,!l!E1GC-3wz7BN(7nQcqwg~~_12.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    This is the garbage one... the pipes are VERY thin and it cracks at both the header flange and lower flange and has no support bracket, i wouldn't use it for holding a door open.
    Cheers Paul. For the purposes of avoidance who makes the garbage one ? Looks like the pipes aren't equal lengths either

After a few days wiring, a bit of intake plumbing and Maf adapter making followed by some exhaust work the engine now runs, fired up immediately without a single issue and sounds great.

Ignore the valvetrain noise on the video, i get that on every single startup video using my iphone, i've no idea why it does it but trust me the engine is very quiet in person.

Now that it runs i can wrap up the wiring properly and finish off the finer details.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast