Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Our 2nd 2zz-ge Mk1 build

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Our 2nd 2zz-ge Mk1 build

This is the second one of these we will have built, it seems to be a conversion a lot of Mk1 owners are very interested in and who wouldn't be, 190bhp and a 6 speed box all weighing next to nothing more than the original 4a-ge.

This one is Ians (Perculis) and we have already removed the old 4a-ge, cut off the drivers side engine mount and dummy hung the 2zz/6speed...

This is done so that we can make the new drivers side engine mount...

After that the engine can be removed again for preparing.

Work then began on the gearbox, it seems the norm for the 2zz box is to pull it apart, and install the Mk3 LSD unit along with giving it a better 6th gear ratio than Toyota did, so that is exactly what we are doing.

The Corolla T sport 6 speed is stripped right down....

As well as a Celica 6 speed gearbox and a Mk3 gearbox as well, so that's 3 gearboxes stripped to use parts from all of them to build one ultimate gearbox.

here are all of the Celica parts....

We will use the 6th gear set and selectors from this box along with its centre casing...

So all of these parts together will give Ian the gearbox of his dreams. We also use the Mk1 speedo drive which fits the 2zz box and Mk2 NA driveshafts, a real parts bin build if ever there was one!

More updates to come.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Not another one! They'll be common as those V6's soon :-)
    Nice one Paul, looking good and watching this build with interest. My car, the first 2zz Paul converted, has now done about 10,000 miles since the transplant and i'm still loving every minute behind the wheel.

Superb!
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

I would give my left ball for a 6 speed with high ratio and lsd on the V6...You lucky basterd you :)

mmmmmmmm ....... 6 speed high revving flavoured mk1 ....... mmmmmmmmm

mmmmmm lovely ultimate mk1 same weight more power 6 speed box lsd lovely.

versus ultimate v6/v8 nutjob power is never enough mk1 hmmm could have both one for the missus me thinks, but she would never find sixth gear.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Today saw the Celica centre casing added to the gearbox, this is an improvement over the first conversion, this gives us the oil seal and selector linkages on the correct side of the gearbox without any hole drilling and trying to make a new seal position work, which was a problem on the previous conversion. I have spoken to Mark (Rexer) and asked that one day we can operate on his gearbox again and fit a Celica centre casing as his still has a slight weep and we can't be having that!

Here is the centre casing fitted...

And the factory oil seal location...

The 5th and 6th part of the gearbox was cleaned and prepped for installing the 5th/6th gear sets...

Here is the Corolla 5th set but Celica 6th set fitted, which makes 6th longer.

The completed Frankenbox, i have modified Mk1 selector arms to fit the Celica selector shaft. This box also has the Mk1 reverse light switch too taking the total number of different gearbox parts going into this totalling four!

This just needs prepping and painting, then new oil seals fitting.

Tomorrow will see engine/gearbox detailing beginning and then it can be installed.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Lovely work Paul.

Anybody wanting to do this should look at for an imported celica m sport. This has the right gear ratios and the LSD already installed, that'd just leave the selector arms to modify.

Also the M Sport has a 200BHP version of the 2zz, Bonus!

paul is any of this possible on the s54 boxes or is it just the newer 6 speed celica / corolla boxes.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast