Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: RaV6

The more I see this thread the more I want one, for winter you understand when the 2 goes in it's purpose built new garage, and I have to go to the shops by walking a rav v6 is starting to appeal a 1 mz with a LPG tank sounds like a good plan for the future, as you can bag a good rav 4 mk1 for under a grand and a camry for the same a weekend or two and viola.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Update from yesterdays proceedings, i got the exhaust all finished off and fitted to the Rav6, so took her out for the first test run, i did a few gentle pootles up and down checking for strange noises etc (first time conversions can be a bit of a debugging process) and it was immediately apparent just how much torque i now had. Driving off the mark is effortless, no higher revs needed, a very similar experience to the Mk2 V6, just tickle the throttle and it wafts it along easily.

Then came time to "give it the gun" ,my wingman for such occassions seems to be Jay, he's always around on Saturdays which seems to be test day for the mad projects! Last time he was sat beside me was in the Mk1 V8 for its inaugural test flight and the bonnet flew up and smacked the windscreen! SO!....

1. Bonnet secure- check
    2. Seatbelts- check
    3. Flux capacitor fluxing- check
    4. Underpants- check

The first hard launch surprised us how well it put the power down, obviously we now have all four wheels doing their job and it takes off like Phil when it's his round, no wheelspin, no drama, just sets away in the direction you want to go at warp speed "Mr Sulu, engage!" , the 4x4 makes a huge difference off the line.

The gearing is perfect, nowhere near as short as the S54 in the Mr2 in first, it has pretty good legs before needing to change, and 2nd gear is an absolute peach, it just pulls and pulls.

Now onto the problems, it became immediately apparent that the rear diff bushings were not up to the job, we were getting a loud thud from the rear on hard take offs and also on hard overrun, a common problem on Ravs so i took the diff bush carrier bracket off (an absolute pig of a job, i had to cut the bushing bolts off in situ with a grinder otherwise it's a petrol tank off job to do)

The new bushings are £200, £180 with my trade discount, but seriously, fuck that for a game of soldiers, no way i'm paying £180 for it when i have a full workshop at my disposal, so i made a jig that bolted onto the original bracket, and that jig placed the bushing sleeves exactly where they locate, then i cut the old bushing collars completely off and welded on two of my Mk2 V6 engine mount collars onto the jig in exactly the same place, then beefed it up with some triangulated supports. This meant i could then press in my V6 engine mount rubbers which happen to have the same 12mm bolt centre as the Rav4 diff subframe. It took around 3 hours to make the new diff carrier assembly (sorry no pics) but i saved £180 and on this build that is a third of the cost of the vehicle!

Once refitted with new bolts i tested it again and no more thuds from the rear, instead i noticed a knock on the front, same deal.... the Rav4 torque mounts are just not up to the job of restraining a V6, so i removed the rear torque mount, welded a new inner collar into it and pressed in a polyurethane insert. You cannot buy Rav4 upgrade parts so you have to make your own.

With the debugging complete i gave it a few good sprints around the yard and it just flys, definately quicker than a Mk2 V6, i think it's lighter and without doubt pulls away better, a very surreal experience blasting along so quickly in something this shape with that V6 soundtrack going on, i love it.

Just before the second outing i had placed my iphone on the rear bumper so it wouldn't get damaged while i was under the Rav, yep i forgot it was there, reversed out of the garage, braked, which sent the phone to the ground, then reversed some more, right over the top of it lol , the screen is smashed to oblivion but it still works! Luckily it's fully insured but thought i'd share it's Rav6 proof.

I'll grab some video on Monday. :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Paul Woods; 24-07-2011 at 08:49.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Sounds like you've made a corker there Paul.:thumbsup:

Look forward to the vids.

Want one.... Plain and simple! Top work that man!
    JFDI

Fantastic news I bet that bushing uprated trick would go down well on the rav forums, if you can make them cheaper than mr t.

Can't wait for the vids and ouch on the iPhone at least it's insured.

Well it turns out my robbing bastard insurance company want me to send the phone off for them to repair, and it would be gone for 10 days! I run a business with it and explained i cannot be without the phone for 10 days, so they suggested i buy another phone for the 10 day period.... wtf??? I said what is the point of phone insurance if i have to pay for a replacement one for 10 days, they had no answer, so i'm going to repair it myself and immediately cancelled the policy.

Twats.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Haha thats the fine print for you :) But wy not by a throw away for 10 quid? (or borrow someones old phone) That way you can make calls and tekst, and just do the email/forum etc on a laptop/pc?

Cant wait for the vid btw! I want some four wheel drifts :)

Basically the replacement screen is £5.50 on Ebay, a cheapy phone is £10 and i'd need to top that up etc..... can't be arsed!

Guess who did just buy new rear diff bushings from Mr T. Unfortunately haven't got the same skills or facilities as you so it was my only option really. Not changed them yet and as you say the front one is going to be a pain to replace.

Quick question though - was it just worn bushes on yours (a common problem apparently ) or are the stock ones just not up to the job with the torque of the V6?

As for engine mounts - well, there is quite a bit of movement in my stock 3sfe engine when you rev it, so not surprised they couldn't copy with the V6. :rofl:

Yeah the front one is a major pain to do, the centre steel tubes on the bushes were seized solid onto the bolts, and my rubbers were completely destroyed wether it was for V6 or not, my diff was flapping up and down, so they needed doing anyway. The way i've done it is now an upgrade over stock, much harder shore of rubber with less movement in them, i don't think stock diff rubbers will be up to the job of the V6 to be honest.

The big problem is getting that bracket off the diff, i couldn't see any way to remove it without either dropping the petrol tank out or cutting them in situ (like i did) and replace with new bolts.

My engine torque mounts looked in great condition with very little movement so i thought they might be ok, but no, too much engine rock.

If you can return the new front bush bracket and get a refund i could make you the same one that i have for half the price of new but i would need your old bracket, i still have the jig that i used to make mine, just a thought.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast