Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: RaV6

2" is loads of space mate - super stuff matey :D

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    amazing how this little project has caught members attention, even i who is not the greatest fan of 4 wheel drives can see a genuine use for one in my life ... amazing!
    Oops i hit the edit button instead of quote so it says i edited your post! Yes i agree, i didn't think anyone would care about a conversion like this but it appeals to me very much knowing how well this engine performs and having a sporty vehicle i can use all year round, i still think it's only appeal is to TB members though.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Oops i hit the edit button instead of quote so it says i edited your post! Yes i agree, i didn't think anyone would care about a conversion like this but it appeals to me very much knowing how well this engine performs and having a sporty vehicle i can use all year round, i still think it's only appeal is to TB members though.
    I dont think so....my wife "LIKES" the idea...and she thinks Im nuts for doing conversions...but she "WANTS" one

and Im deffinately considering hunting out a rav4 here..most of our ones over this way are auto though:(, and even cheaper ones are about $4000 NZ(or about $2500UK???we are getting ripped..lol)
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Tell you what, i'll ship over some of our very expensive 15 year old Rav4s for a container full of those dime a dozen 2gr engines you have everywhere :)

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I've had a swb rav4 for 8 years, what you've done there is wicked. I suspect that with a little suspension stiffening andsome low profile tyres it would handle even better. They are lots of fun in winter, I pray for heavy snow every year just so that I can go out for a drive .

heres a soft top with 21psi. 3sfe (nice wheels!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3LRk4gh1TU

here he does a monaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTVAGGrdCHg
    if in doubt JB Weld it.

That settles it. Camry meets rav4 next year. The soft top looks loads better than the hard top swb. We dont get the softtop in the uk do we?

Great vid that.

Oh yes we do,

they often cost only one more peanut.
    Last edited by 010on1986; 20-07-2011 at 12:27. Reason: spell error / gramer
    if in doubt JB Weld it.

Holy shit that rav4 turbo goes well!

Today i got the throttle cable sorted, we just used one from a Camry and adapted the firewall where it bolts on, not hard. So all that's left now is the rear exhaust manifold and the exhaust system, which is going to be a pain, but it's the last thing to do now.

What would be cheaper for you to build for a customer paul? a SW20 V6 or a RAV6?

Sw20 V6 will always be the cheapest conversion of them all, it's too simple by comparison, the Rav6 just requires a lot of smaller mods...

Power steering pump from the Rav needs modifying to fit the V6
    Lots of block grinding/transfer case clearance
    Harder drivers side mount assembly (2 parts)
    Rear exhaust manifold is a bitch
    Rad pipes are slightly harder
    Camry throttle cable
    Clutch slave cylinder clearance issue
    Alternator bracket needs shortening
    Extra labour with propshaft removal/refitting
    Exhaust downpipes are complicated
    Diff lock mechanism is a biggy, i have a solution to keep it working but on mine i'm going to keep it simple by opening the bonnet and manually engaging it if it's ever needed, which would take a minute to do. I found out they are a constant 4x4 and the transfer case just handles diff lock for extreme conditions, not 2WD switching as previously thought, so this is less important really, i doubt i'll ever need the diff lock feature and keeps the conversion simpler, but i can retain full functionality of that if really required.

I found the wiring considerably easier than a Mk2 V6 swap, and it's very simple on one of those, it took me less than 2 hours to wire, but everything else was harder.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast