Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: RaV6

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Marc as far as i can tell the transfer box on this Rav4 just locks the rear diff into the front diff, it has a clutch sleeve ring, sort of like a dog gear, that just slides over the output shaft on the right hand side.

Some update pics, plenum on and almost everything attached now... here is the engine mount i needed to make, two parts, a chassis part and engine part.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Flappy paddles to control the gearbox.... job done.
    then why not just put in a manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    then why not just put in a manual?
    Just suggesting a solution to running a RAV4 auto on the V6, i'm working on adding full auto control onto the flappy box to run with stand alone ecu's

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Just suggesting a solution to running a RAV4 auto on the V6, i'm working on adding full auto control onto the flappy box to run with stand alone ecu's
    ahh, ok. i was under the impression you were suggesting the right way to go with an automatic is to bring it back to a manual.

its ok...I was talking about this project to the wife while running around here today...shes like "we could get one of them"...

as the MR2 is not practical for me, the wife and 2 kids, so it would be the trip wagon/tow vehicle, and it would be better for towing with a V6. she then asked how much a rebuild motor was, and how much extra a rebuilt V6 was....I have her trained to let me have projects...:D

loose a MR2, gain a cool rav 4...but it would be a 5 door.

should really just finish the limo....lol

but its a cool toy, well done that man!
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Loving the way that engine is sat in the bay... As a person of complete ignorance it does look to me like the weight is quite far forward in the bay, not sure if this engine weighs much more than the original but do you think the front might need stiffening up a little?

Either way i have said it before and i will say it again, its superb to see how you just get on with stuff... a real can do, lets give it a go attitude. Something needed a whole lot more int he environment i am in at the moment.
    JFDI

Quote Originally Posted by boondougal View Post
    Loving the way that engine is sat in the bay... As a person of complete ignorance it does look to me like the weight is quite far forward in the bay, not sure if this engine weighs much more than the original but do you think the front might need stiffening up a little?

Either way i have said it before and i will say it again, its superb to see how you just get on with stuff... a real can do, lets give it a go attitude. Something needed a whole lot more int he environment i am in at the moment.
    It's no further forward than it would be in say a celica...

Have to say PW, that the lightweight 1mz would be peachy in there matey but fully understand why you've gone this way bud :thumbsup: Love it mate and would even consider chopping in the bimmer estate for one of them :brill:

Where doe the rad sit PW? is it gonna be far enough away from the front fannymould?

Indeed, the engine sits in the same place it would in the Celica, and won't be that much heavier, i reckon maybe 30-40kgs more, which is nothing really.

I agree Dan, a 1mz would be a cracking motor in one of these, i was just very unsure if the transfer box would clear the block and lower pan, i suspect not.

I have about 2" between manifold and radiator, so i think it will be ok, everything's a bit snug but looks right if that makes sense?

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Build all but finished, just the rear exhaust manifold to do and the exhaust system, total project time up to now is 6 working days.

Oops, there's some swap fuel just in shot :)

amazing how this little project has caught members attention, even i who is not the greatest fan of 4 wheel drives can see a genuine use for one in my life ... amazing!
    Last edited by Paul Woods; 20-07-2011 at 06:32.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast