Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: RaV6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

RaV6

Ok i was talking to Anth last week about replacing the Gaylander (it's a Freelander, but it's gay as hell), for the coming winter. To be honest the K series powering the Gaylander is woeful and i really hate driving it now, it's such a chore even commuting to work and the build quality is shockingly bad.

SO! what to do? Well we talked a bit, and decided a great vehicle to own would be a Rav4, 2WD and switchable to 4WD when you need it, already has a Toyota engine (the equally shite 3s-fe) inside it so that got us thinking....

Can you see where this is going?

Last Monday, that's 6 days ago, i bought a 95 Rav4 on the Ebay for £600, got the train down to Birmingham, paid for it and drove home. To be honest it went pretty well, pulled great and surprised me how much better it was than the Lander of Gay. I also noticed how much lighter it felt, it's the 3 door version by the way, so short wheelbase.

200 miles later and by 2:30pm i landed at WS HQ.

By 5pm the 3s-fe was on the floor LOL, coolant still warm, and after i promised the woman i bought it from (she owned it for 7 years) that i'd take good care of it, tut tut.

Tuesday saw a 3vz-fe stripped and by Wednesday rebuilt and fully detailed.

Wednesday saw the block modified and 4WD transfer case altered so that they could be bolted together (ses serres baise, excuse my french!) but the gearbox eventually went on.

Thursday saw the Rav4 and Camry wiring harnesses spliced together, power steering pump modified to fit the V6 and lots of other mods.

Friday saw the engine and gearbox fitted, lo and behold we had created the worlds first V6 powered Rav4, now officially called the RaV6 (see what i did there)

Today i connected lots of shit up, sorry but there are no pics yet of this beast, you will have to take my word for it!

So there is maybe 2 or 3 days tinkering work left before it runs, we expect this little 4x4 to be quicker than a Mk2 Mr2 with the same engine, it's considerably lighter and will put power to all four wheels on launches, i'll shoot a few vids of 4 wheel drifts next week!

The thinking behind this project is why not get some V6 goodness during the winter when our Mr2's are all laid up unable to go out, apart from Jiff who regards it as some sort of winter sport :)

You should see the V6 in the bay though, it looks meant to be and quite a sight, still can't believe this time last week i didn't even own it!

Pics coming Monday :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Hi Paul,

Didn't we have that conversation weeks ago?

Spiffing news to hear it made real!

Chris.

Sent from <insert stupid location>

Yep we did, i mentioned the possibility to Anth, we mulled it over for a few days and decided it might be possible, so we just went for it to prove if it could be done.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Im ordering you one of these:

How brilliant would it be to drive a mk1/2/3+V6 in the summer, and a practical 4wd in the winter! Cant wait for the vids and details of this build! As alway WoodSport is:

Very interested in this swap Paul, if you're game for sharing the dirty secrets!

I drive a Subaru Legacy Auto and I think a RaV6 auto would be sweet!

Chris.

Sent from <insert stupid ornament)

Is anything safe? God Forbid no one in an aygo breaks down in front of the workshop, they may wonder why the get home a little quicker once you have them up and running once again.

Seriously though... Sounds like another really interesting build!
    JFDI

What a great idea! Saw a slammed Rav on the motorway a few months back and it actually looked pretty good.

Hmm so life has presented me with another Camry and my uncle has a rav that he doesn't use and he owes me a car... Can't wait to see some pics.

Great thread Paul, another Woodsport first!

Thanks chaps, we have high hopes for it, it's basically a VERY short wheelbase Camry in 2WD mode, should go like stink (seems lighter than a Mk2!) , and in 4WD during winter i can clear fallen oak trees blocking the roads lol

I can't see many people wanting us to build them a RaV6 due to their low value and conversion costs (probably around £4k for us to build one for a customer) , but we think it'll make a superb little all-rounder and a great thing for someone to maybe build at home.

The wiring was a total doddle, the easiest i've ever done, and i suppose i could make the one engine mount i had to make available for everyone.

Just realized i had a couple of shitty iphone pics from midway through the install on Friday, no plenum on yet and not much hooked up at this point, snug or what!

Paul,

This is why I love this forum! Someone is always pushing the boat out a bit further!

I think you originally suggested that Fizzy could fit a 3Vz in his Rav4, which I seem to recall he bought when he broke his two.

That got my imagination going which is why I asked you about it. I think it would make a great daily driver for when I replace the Legacy!

You bringing that to JAE then?

Chris.

Sent from <insert stupid location>

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast