Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1MZ N/A engine build results

1MZ N/A engine build results

Afternoon chaps,

I thought i would start a thread on my engine i have been building for a long long time!

Its a 1mz in my early mk1, i wasnt really happy with the power and rev range of the standard engine so i took it back out intending a mild job.....but you know how it goes!

The end result is something completely rebuilt with various goodies i have made/modified and i have now got it running and got some results. I have mapped it as best i can on the road and im pretty happy with it, although im sure a proper rolling road session would find a bit more.

As it stands i have been to my local rolling road this morning for a power run (old style rollers not really suited to mapping) and it has made 251bhp at the wheels, and 259 with the airbox lid off (restrictive filter i need to sort out) He worked out the trans losses at around 40bhp, that seems a little high but regardless im very happy with the power. Thats up from 180 at the wheels on the same rollers with the standard engine on ebay headers/standard ecu and everything else.

I got to the retro cars show last weekend as well, and ran a 12.7 at 109.9...can i call that 110? Only did 2 runs so the times should come down a bit from there.

A couple of vids for you:

Rolling road:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEYQmdJXws
    excuse the splutter at the start....havent worked much on the bottom end of the map!

Santa pod:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5do3rruukM
    This is racing a starlet with a cosworth yb engine in it. Skip foward to about 0.45s as we waited ages to run

Wow thats over 280bhp at the crank! Thats supercharger territory right there :) Nice work mate!
    Im very curious at the spec list of this beauty! And we love pics.. do you have any of the engine build?

ps: you can integrate the youtube video by pressing the 'insert video' button.

Yes, very happy to say the least...i have wanted to build a decent non turbo engine for years and i've done it now!

Plenty of pics and specs to follow. I need to gather all my photos together and sit down for a while loading them all...

nice launch it put the power down lovely style, im uber jealous my car has about 45 more horses but couldnt get traction, i will be going back and giving it full welly when japshow finale is on as ive booked the week of between jae and japshow so dont have to come home lol.

That is very impressive. Is this the vvti version of the 1MZ? I'd love a lump like that in the back of my current Roadster.
    Looking forward to the build pics.
    Mk 3.6 V6 Roadster (sold) now a Mk 3 Roadster avec turbo!

I see on the dyno vid you say cams and TB's?

Can we see the full spec list and your costs if you please? Very interested to see what's been done. Excellent results!

Its a non vvti version. As for the spec, i was intending to do a proper thread showing it as it was built, but i probably wont have the time to sit and write it for a few days so for now, a brief list is:

Ported heads, reground standard cams, 1zz shimless lifters with my own shims underneath to account for the base circle reduction of the cams, supra valve springs, heads skimmed to 12.2:1 comp, modified 22r forged rods (have another set for sale), cast manifold to suit triumph 1050 throttle bodies, carbon airbox, megasquirt ecu.

Costs wise, i havent got a clue! Nothing has been particularly expensive, the main bits being the cam grinding, forged rods and the ecu. Lots and lots of other stuff so it all adds up. I have done it all myself inc all machining etc so there is no labour involved. The only things i have had to pay someone else to do was the cam grinding and the balancing. There were some serious hours involved trying to get stuff to work and problem solving....plus ive been learning to use a milling machine, heat treating and aluminium casting along the way. Thats been the main reason for building the engine for me, its been more about the learning than the final result. To be honest chaps, i wouldnt say the hours i have put in have been worth it for the engine alone...and it would be impossible if you were paying for labour as the bits are all one off. Having said that, i'll list out how it was done soon so any of you have a quicker route to it.

Tiggs, what power did yours make at the wheels?

Im confident it could still make quite a bit more power by the way, one of the most dissapointing bits was the cams....more on that later...

Quote Originally Posted by loadswine View Post
    That is very impressive. Is this the vvti version of the 1MZ? I'd love a lump like that in the back of my current Roadster.
    Looking forward to the build pics.
    The VVTi is more trouble than it's worth, the VVTi control is a PITA.

Fantastic result there, way more in ponies than my VVTi, what bore are your ITBs and what are the specs of your cams?

The dyno run came up as 324bhp with 291ftlbs of torque, but it was skipping abit on the rollers, phill mrv6 has got 325bhp and 317lbft out of his I think the difference is down to equal length down pipes on his which are going to be installed on mine, then I'm going to go and put it on another dyno and see if there's a difference.

Yours is looking cracking, I know what your on about the journey to enlightenment is as good as getting there.

Like the trips to jae and Santa pod and friends half the enjoyment is seeing just what's out there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast