Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clutch judder ?

Quote Originally Posted by adamh View Post
    for the record, i have a 4 puck helix clutch its diabolical in traffic / slow starts, absoloutely bone shaking in the car unless i nail it at which time it picks up like superglue, once out of first gear its fine, but in first its absoloute pants unless a few k rpm
    Maybe I'm just wittering over nothing....

:/

Chris.

not at all mate, speak up!. If you do find a problem with it i will do everything i can to get it sorted a.s.a.p by the way i sit in the U.S right now, might be a chance to shove a fly into a case ship'n free.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

If Adams done the work on the fly I bet it's the clutch is wrong or shaged or it could just be normal for that type of clutch?

I've had a paddle clutch make driving horrible due to its on off type power delivery, and drove a.mates car with a triple plate clutch and that was a pain in thr backside too, but Chris has a normal type round friction plate.
    So it shouldn't behave like it is doing so,
    I got a sick feeling that possible the flywheel or pressure plate may have come bit loose, of maybe even the friction plate is not balanced ,
    Which could be a manufacture error.

Icon9

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    If Adams done the work on the fly I bet it's the clutch is wrong or shaged or it could just be normal for that type of clutch?
    Yeah, but we put the same clutch setup in Pat's car and its silky smooth compared to (aside from the fact that it bites like a bitch!)

Quote Originally Posted by p5ycho View Post
    I've had a paddle clutch make driving horrible due to its on off type power delivery, and drove a.mates car with a triple plate clutch and that was a pain in thr backside too, but Chris has a normal type round friction plate.
    So it shouldn't behave like it is doing so,
    I got a sick feeling that possible the flywheel or pressure plate may have come bit loose, of maybe even the friction plate is not balanced ,
    Which could be a manufacture error.
    Yeah, just trying to fiond excuses not to take it all in bits again....

Chris.

chris - im gonna stick my pennies worth in here - when i did my first swap celica st182, i used a brand new fidanza flywheel , brand new toyota caldina friction plate, excedy pressure plate [ turbo ] and brand new release bearing , me and my mate took extra care putting everything together by the way my pal is a technition at toyota and he does know his onions , but when we got the motor up and running the clutch judder was absolutly ridiculous serious bad, after a week or two i couldnt see how this was going to get better so i personally stripped it all down only to find a hight spot on 1 of the pressure plate mounting points where the bolts go , and also the the friction plate had loads of run out.
    you can check the run out by putting the friction plate onto the gearbox spines while its out - strike a line on the bottom of the bell housing and rotate the plate very gently and watch the line - in my case it was bad enough to see clearly one of the problems.
    once i got it back together the transformation was like chalk and cheese , and still to this day and after some nailings , its still ok and i only used a standard friction plate on rebulid from mr t and that was just one i had lying around. one thing i would say is that i dont personally think that some after market standard clutches are upto the job - they will be shite brought in from all the overseas country and there not all the same in qaulity imo.

good luck and stay focused

Hi mate,

Thanks for your input and positive words, it's very much appreciated.

Yes I think I might very well have the same issue(s). The annoying thing is that we used the exact same kit for Pats and that's still going strong and a dream to drive (apart from the noise from the kaki!)

I guess we will find out when we get it in bits, just as soon as The Black is put back together.

Chris.

Sent from the girls toilets

I years ago was a mechanic and out of every denso box of spark plugs 4/5 would be shaged, my job on the first Monday morning was to get all the new boxes of spark plugs and go through every one on a test machine to see how many duds were in the boxes out of 10 boxes of 20 plugs each I would find enough to fill one box with 20 plugs, the morale is you can have 10 clutches and odds are you just got the 1 made on Monday morning or Friday night.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123