Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: st185 single piston calipers rebuilt

ST185 discs are 277mm if they're single piston.

the ST165/ST185 twin piston jobbies are 258mm.

What size are ST205's?

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    315mm olie :) but we machine them down to 300mm to make them work on a mk1 with the 205 caliper

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Hmm I'well I've got a set of std 185 discs with 0.5-1mm lip on the front and back edge of them...

What's best guys - get the 185's drilled out to 4 stud, or get a brand spanker set of VW ones (they're about £30 all in on ebay at the mo) with a spigot ring...????
    Small fonts are for midget baptisms, not signatures!

Just a note to warn those on a budget to try and get the pad retaining clips and shims when you buy the calipers (cost is £55+vat for new ones). I've had to buy new clips, shims, bolts and a refurb kit and it's doubled the cost of my brake swap.
    Vroom vroom

Just checked the brakes international site, and you can get the retaining clips / pins for 11.23+ vat, and thats for an axle set..... It does all mount up though when you add the costs of the various bits. Still damn cheap when you consider its effectively a big brake conversion.

Got my calipers and drilled discs waiting here to go on, as the guy forgot to include the carriers and clips. Lets hope they are all there.

While we are here, couple of questions:

Was quizzed by a collegue at work about the possibility of up setting the front / rear brake balance, and that this could become an MOT issue...? Any thoughts on that?

Also, as I dont know exactly what brake fluid is currently in the system, should I look at replacing all the fluid (to DOT 4/5) or can I use say, some DOT 4 when bleeding the brakes, or is this not right (could be DOT 5 or 5.1 in there for all I know, but unlikely I would think as the car was completly standard when I got it)?

Ross

Noo! the pics have gone!
    Priorities change, passions do not.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345