Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: st185 single piston calipers rebuilt

st185 single piston calipers rebuilt

These calipers are a direct bolt onto the mk1 hub. the disc used is a 280x28 celica 185 vented. The discs need a p.c.d of 4x100 driling only, otherwise, a direct fitting kit.

ok, anyone needs the info on a caliper build, its a very simple task to do, ive written it to cast any doubts away; easy & and quite cheap supringly using oem toyota parts. here is what you need:

single piston rebuild kit (boots and gators / clips / bits) :
    04479-20160 £31.76

and if needed: pads; optifit pads (toyota crossbreed) # 04465-YZZAG £ 28.36

caliper laquer around half litre (small) tin, halfords. £10

excluding paint, a total of £60.12 for a smooth working set including new pads, not bad atall.

the calipers I cleaned and painted previously, using normal stuff, wire wheels in a drill, angle grinder for tuff stuff, clean with brake cleaner, sand exterior only, wash bores, buff bores with soft cloth only, paint exterior. The piston and guide pins, i stuck on the lathe and hit them with polishing compound, although just a thourough clean & polish with old pair pants needed etc. job done. they will get a further paint touch up when fitted for good, but paint this before building, otherwise you'll paint your gators.

all this stuff bar the calipers & pistons & runners comes with the kit:

make sure bore is clean, wip with brake fluid. take piston seal, wipe all over with brake fuild, insert in groove in bore:

take piston, wipe all over with brake fluid, insert in bore squarely:

push the piston right back:

fit piston gator into top groove of caliper bore, and push gently over top of piston until it sits in the groove. Then take retaining ring and insert onto piston gator , it will pop into caliper groove easily, retaining the rubber gator.

take guide pins (runners) make sure they are shiny clean, and lubricate with pink stuff (grease) provided, smear liberally over all the pins, avoiding any large amount in the grooves.

stick some pink stuff down the guide bores followed by small finger and spread over all of bore:

take new boots, and grease the ends which go into the caliper, these boots pop into the caliper holes easy, stick finger inside to make sure through hole is clear, and rubber from boot is not blocking guide hole.

lubricate front entrance to gator, stick guide pin in front ways and through the caliper, then out other side. bit tricky getting the pin in, no big bother, stretch hole round pin first, grease etc.

make sure holes in caliper bridge (part of caliper which holds pads) has clean threads. for reference these threads are :

M10x1.25 for the guide pin retaining bolts

and M12 x 1.25 for the caliper to hub mounting holes.
    i ran a tap thru the holes just to clean the crap out. (picture, pre tap)

take caliper bridge and put into position

take guide pin bolts, smear with copper slip grease or similar, insert bolts and do up.

put pad spring clips into caliper bridge & caliper:

mount new pads:

copper crush washers forcaliper banjo fitting left to fit and caliper bleed screw caps left to fit after bleeding. job done.

Last edited by adamh; 23-01-2006 at 21:11.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

nice writeup adam and should be similar for all calipers

"A tattoo is an artificial pigmentation of the skin performed by a prick with a needle" .. sailor jerry Hawaii 1973

brilliant work there adam ! this is something I will be doing in a couple of weeks as my brakes are now officially shot on the sc so gonna do this upgrade on it at the same time so wicked right up makes it so clear.

aye, no daunting task, the hard work is cleaning them in the first place, re-building them carefuly only takes an hour or two, 'itaint' rocket science.

plug for mr woods origonal big brakes conversion work, i believe this was the first caliper upgrade before the st205 gt4 muma's....

super write up, as someone looking to do this in the next month its greatly appreciated.....=D>
    JFDI

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    excellent write up adam,we need more of that sort of thing!

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Adam, just to double check did you get these direct from Mr T, How about brakes international? Do they do this kit?

cheers for the info
    JFDI

i got mrT, not sure about brakes international, the prices are very good, i wouldnt skimp on brakes at that price.. always worth checking out tho..

awaesome mate, well impressed. Only hope I can give the same sort of writeup with my plans

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast