Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project mk1.6 - *sigh*

Whoop!

Good for you! Go go gadget swap!

Oh and your wife is well cute, but you probably knew that anyway.

:)

Just one tiny thought (and not something we'll probably have to face here in the uk) but wouldn't the aw11 originally be on r12 for aircon, where's the 1mz would probably be using r134a? What's involved in converting?
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

I have a '93 MR2 with a 1MZFE as well.. I run the 1MZ's R134a A/C compressor, changed out the receiver-drier and had custom lines made. It blows a lovely 5-6*C :) I may change out my expansion valve (it's original and they had problems early on..) before next Summer, but for now all is well. R12 is more efficient at cooling, but R134a works just fine, especially since the compressor is an R134a unit.

Finally got my tools and boxes home from my former job! Got some organizing done as well as pulling the steering wheel and most of the interior on the driver's side (gauge cluster, trim panels, etc) to access wiring harnesses as I add cruise control, the OBD2 port and connect to the VSS/speedometer and run the auxiliary wiring harness from front to back!

One thing I'm not super happy about is how low the engine sits.. I may build a skid plate. it will sit a bit higher than this when fully mounted:

Aaaaand the devil's in the details.. I want an OEM-functional cruise control system in this car (rather, it was requested/demanded by the car's owner/driver). From a junked mk1 I obtained all the hardware and wiring pigtails... only to find that this '86NA has nearly ZERO mounting/pre-wiring for cruise. Toyota was pretty weird in the 80s.. so.. here we go!

The cruise stalk from the junkyard car (RIP) bolts up to the switchgear from my '86, which is in MUCH better overall conditon:

For the sake of OEMness, I depinned the donor switch and added its wiring pins to my car's own connector:

As noted, nearly-zero provisions for optional cruise control hardware when it comes to mounting everything to the firewall.. so I did some of my own engineering:

Switchgear mounted and ready to rock! While I have the interior ripped apart up here, I'm adding an auxiliary wiring harness for the OBD2 connector, the added cruise control wiring and provisions for future gauge/telemetry additions.

Love it! Always wanted to retain the cruise on mine but as we didn't get it over here, I'd have to get switch gear shipped from the US.

Does seem to sit a little low... But then again, it's that long since I checked mine, it could just be my memory!
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Yeah.. I'd like the engine higher, but I'm keeping the factory latch and other bits in place.. plus the motor is dead center between the rear wheels, putting it in a location that's very difficult to high-center. The car is only on a set of ST springs as well.. about 1.5" lower than stock.

Pity about the cruise! I'm not enthusiastic about using 80s vacuum-operated cruise control, but we're gonna give it a whirl, if nothing else! ... and I have a soft spot for original equipment :)

Quote Originally Posted by cdwood2010 View Post
    Whoop!

Good for you! Go go gadget swap!

Oh and your wife is well cute, but you probably knew that anyway.

:)
    agree with everything this man says here :)

keep up the good work

AW11 3vz-FE hartop
    if you make it idiot proof
    they Will make a better idiot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123