Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian's swap

Brian's swap

A good day. Excellent progress, carefully labelling the pipes and cables.

Followed the brilliant engine removal guide I downloaded from here. the only real challenge today was unbolting the engine mounts fro the Camry. Those bolts that peek down through the chassis frame have such a long thread, my normal sockets don't fit, presumably that means buying a set of long reach box spanners?

Hopefully crane the engone out before lunch tomorrow- exciting times!

:icon_biggrin:

Good stuff Brian, all the best with it.
    "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

A slide show from today's activity (from the Blackberry, so have jazzed up a little)..enjoy!

Excellent work (and superb video production again!).

You've some fun times ahead: You've the V6 initiation test to pass (getting the autobox/torque convertor off). Then the shock of how small the engine looks once you strip half the crap off it.
    I hate all southerners. As a point of reference, I'm stood at the north pole.

Plus that nut with the 8 foot long breaker bar.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Plus that nut with the 8 foot long breaker bar.
    Bollocks - meant to do mine before we pulled the engine out....

Loving that shopping trolley - i want one!!!

Chris.

need an idiots guide to stripping the crap that's not required, off the engine, hopefully somewhere on TwoBrutal. 8 ft breaker bar? oh shit, are you pulling my leg snowtigger?

Hi

Generally you will need a big breaker bar to crack the bolt on the crank so you can change the cam belt etc. There are several ways to hold the crank while you injure yourself trying, most involve a big mate or sturdy wife perhaps.

You can lock off the flywheel plate thing or fashion a two pronged tool to fit the two deep holes on the crank pulley.

Oh and take it off the trolley or it will try and get you!

Surplus stuff - if you don't need PAS or aircon they can go along with the brackets. There's about 50kg there for a start. Tape a note to the cables so you don't wonder where they go later?

Also you don't need either engine mount from the front or back (this is a mk2 right?) of the block. I think it's used on the mk1 conversion. The back one has the drive carrier in it. The front one looks like a big triangular leg thing. Neither of those are light.....

Hope this helps a bit, but our build was a real photo casebook so let me know if you would like to browse it.

Watch that sun today!!!

Chris

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast