Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3vz overheating issues

3vz overheating issues

My 3vz sw20 has been overheating on fairly short trips. It would overheat to the point of the overflow boiling.
    I have checked that none of the hoses are kinked, changed the thermostat and the cap. I have also spent ages making sure that the cooling system is bled properly.
    As i think I've tried everything is there anything else I should test before I blame the head gasket?
    I have also noticed a lot of water in the exhaust but just assumed it was condensation.

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    A little bit of history needed, did you rebuild the engine before the swap or just install it straight from the Camry?

The water in the exhaust is normal.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

I know from previous posts that there are issues if the water pump is replaced with a pattern one and not an original Toyota. They tend to have fewer impellors and don't create sufficient waterflow.

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

I took the heads off and ported them after the motor was removed from the camry, it was then reassembled with an eBay gasket kit.
    I'm unsure on what water pump is on the motor, however i haven't changed it so i assume its the original.

Has it done this since day 1 or been fine and this is just a recent problem?

Ebay gaskets.... quite literally not worth the paper they're made from.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

It wasn't boiling the water from the start but it was smoking a fair bit. It boiled once and thinking (hoping) it was a dud intake manifold gasket we changed those which helped, it worked well for another month or so, however now it boils on every drive so I've stopped driving it to avoid further damage.

Either the Ebay gaskets have failed, which they do a lot, or you've installed them on the wrong way around.

It is possible to fit the rear bank gasket on the front bank and vice versa, which accidentally blocks off a major coolant passage, a lot of homebuilders in the past have made this mistake.

Got any pictures of your build when the gaskets were put on?

It sounds like gasket failure though, but i would pressure test your cylinders to confirm (leakdown test with the coolant cap removed, not a compression test)

Yep they're on the right way, so they must have failed.

Thanks a lot for your help, you're a real champion

Would you be able to recommend some good gaskets to replace the current ones with?
    Also, would it be good insurance to get the heads decked while they are off again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast