Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Today was a good day!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2

Today was a good day!

It seems like the last time i actually got behind the wheel of my own Mk1 and just enjoyed driving these amazing little cars was years ago. My life is so taken up with installing insane engines into these cars and i have been so intensely busy for the last decade that i had totally lost sight of what it felt like to just get into a stock Mk1 and just open the taps on a country lane, well this weekend has been pure Mk1 Utopia for me. This car is perhaps one of the nicest and freshest restored in the UK, every running gear part on it is brand new, right down to the last nut and bolt.

I grabbed the keys to my new Mk1 and hit the country lanes of County Durham in a big way, scrolling through twisty sunlit B roads with the T tops off, the little 4a-ge screaming its lungs out as i made it hit the rev limiter many times, stirring up and down the box on every corner and incline like the Muppets chef chasing a chicken, i made that thing sing today and felt like a god.

I had totally forgotten what drew me to these cars all those years ago, the styling is as fresh today as it was back then, the fully clad leather interior and Star Trek style dashboard is just the best place to be period. Call me soppy, or just plain gay! but today i found my love for the Mk1 rekindled to the 10th degree, i can't remember a time that i've enjoyed driving a car so much, ok it wasn't a V6, it wasn't a 1.5, nor was it the pure insanity that is a V8 Mk1, but it was just me, the open road, and Toyotas finest creation and boy did it feel good.

Some pics from today...

I have some upgrades planned for this car, ones that will not involve an engine change, but will emphasize what is already there, all will be revealed :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

OK then - you're gay. you did ask.
    Beautiful weather for some B road action, and a screaming 4ag.
    Lovely looking mk1 - every nut and bolt on the drive train replaced, I want to see some shot of the mechanics of this car.

yeh good on ya paul, its about time you got into a mk1 and drove it! , something about them. looking mighty fine by the way, nice wheels :icon_biggrin: .
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Cheers Ads, yes i should add the wheel centre caps come courtesy of AH-CNC if anyone wants some, his work is second to none.

Garbe here are some pics of the underside after i'd drowned it in shutz and waxoyl.... but you get the idea, everything is new, even down to handbrake mechanisms that didn't need renewing.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Looking very nice, doesn't really matter what is under the bonnet of these things, they are a pure drivers car.

Glad someone got some driving in to day, just finished 8 hours of gardening, although managed to wash a couple of the cars though

Bring on the Summer.

Looking good there Paul and it's about time you reinvigorated your love of driving a mk1, and the weather was gorgeous for a drive out in a mk1 today pity I was looking after my other half who has this sore throat,aching , flu virus I had last week.

Let's hope there's more sunny weather ahead for the shows when you bring this and the v8 down, remember it's not just the building them it's the driving and enjoyment that's the fun part as well.

All work and no play makes us all grumpy old men.

Uber nice mk1 there mate, although Jay and I can't imagine a nice clean red mk1.

Nice one Paul, every Sunday now I go for a little A road blast in my mk2, when the revs get past 6k and its still pulling hard, with the sound of the engine right behind your head it just makes me grin from ear to ear! What colour red is your mk1 by the way?

What colour red is your mk1 by the way?
    LOL i would love to reply with a real pisstake answer there but i know what you mean, it's 3E5 matey, also known as Super red 1 i think.

Icon10

Hi Paul

Simlar day for me yesterday, I picked this up on saturday and drove back from Norfolk to Birmingham into a great sunset

My current car is sound but this thing is a different league, Seems like we're still having email issues. I'll give you a call when I've got 5 mins.

Ian

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast