Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The V12 Mk2 thread

What's the script then, extended chassis? Longitudinal? Transverse and extra wide car?

Mad project, well in.

It's gotta be longitudinal Obler - the block on the bimmer V12 is really unconducive with transverse mounting. The sump would be a headache also. Really interested on your measurements for this lot Paul :)

Paul I think you're totally nuts but totally awesome idea! I am soo subscribed to this thread, I remember when I was a lad this idea being mooted about somewhere on this forum, will be great to see it come to fruition!

Please please please finish the V8 first though!

BMW V12 + 6 speed box would be great.... you fancy making it 4wd for an extra challenge?

TB crazyness strikes again
    It's gotta have throttle bodies. Lots of throttle bodies. Just for the noise.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

ok, If I was to do this, Id go north/south(like the v8.) tube chassis rear obviously.

are you poaching a v12 from an 850 or something?...those things are immense...

would you do it like the lambo? and mount the engine backwards and run a drive shaft under/beside/through the sump?
    or like the v8 with the trans straight off the back?
    of course I dont care, your a muppet!!!

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Thanks for the support with this one chaps, i won't be starting it until the V8 is done though but it can be discussed to death here until i do start.

I will be using a BMW 850 motor mounted inline with the audi 6 speed box exactly like the V8 is in the Mk1. Without stretching the chassis it will mean using all of the space behind the seats again just like the V8 Mk1. I haven't taken any preliminary measurements but i've seen pics of the Audi V8 into Mk2 and it barely encroaches into the cabin. Mk2's have a lot of dead space behind the seats, lots more than a Mk1 has, so i'll be taking advantage of that.

The BMW motor is 29.25" from front to rear, but i think i can ditch stuff from the front to get that down a few inches, but it should still fit even at 29"

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Moving to the 2.12 section lol

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Is the v10 not be easier to fit or is that a future fitment, as the price for that engine is horrendous, but 500bhp can't be sniffed at.
    Also Paul did you see the e30 v12 twin turbo motor on YouTube stonking bhp and massive torque, will give most of the supercars a good run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    The BMW motor is 29.25" from front to rear, but i think i can ditch stuff from the front to get that down a few inches, but it should still fit even at 29"
    Coolness.

What's the Audi lump end to end without gearbox?

FFS! Mk2.12, becoming a bit of mouthful!

Paul, I thought I'd migrate a bit of the info from the red place to the proper home of such discussion in case its any use. More photos of the 6-speed gearbox (Audi code: OB1) I bought for use with a ABZ V8, my original thinking being I could avoid firewall / chassis member / fuel tank mods or ANY cabin intrusion. That's because Audi (in an attempt to move the engine rearwards for weight distribution porpoises), put the differential in front of the clutch and flywheel. Effectively, if you run this gearbox with a slight bit a drive shaft angle, the rear hubs can be in line with the bell-housing face of the engine. So a ~20" long V8 will fit in the ~21-22" space between this dimension.. Just :thumbsup: Anyhoo, I digress.

As its fitted to 2.0 Turbo Audi's, which standard produce around 250lb/ft of torque (and weigh ~1500kg), I was pretty happy that it would cope well, perhaps even with the standard clutch, with the ~300lb/ft of a 4.2 V8 in a lighter car. Its a pretty much untested gearbox however (as its relatively new) so I'm unsure how it will do with a larger capacity V12... Audi don't tend to do many weak gearboxes though, as can be seen with the 01x, which originally came with similar output engines. Anyhoo, it would potentially save you a good 4" (), so food for thought!

Pic-a-tures:

Thread rape over...

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast