Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The V12 Mk2 thread

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    No mate, to fit that gearbox into my Mk1 would mean redoing every part of the conversion.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Aye, trying to guage just how much the subframe would need shifted about to get this to fit.

The rear tie link mounting pointss on the subframe are awfy close together on the Mk2 so what you thinking there?

On the Mk1, you'd maybe be able to get the box in without moving the triangles?

The gearbox will sit over the top of it with a channel cut out of the subframe and reinforced underneath it, and Mk2 subframes come in two types with the pivot points close together and far apart, i'll be using the far apart subframe.

On my Mk1 i didn't need to move my triangles at all, it all fitted as stock, it was just the crossmember on the chassis i needed to chop out, take a look at my build thread you will see what i mean.

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Ah, didn't realise it would sit that high on the Mk2. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Best lambo and Ferrari are all rwd, 4 wd is a waste of weight time money and expense it's doable cause nods already thought through all the problems.

Any twonk can stick a floor pan of another car under Neath if you get your measurements right, that way Paul could put a scooby under it but it would no longer be mid engined.
    What utter nonsense: you're suggesting that it's easier for a "twonk" to stitch another floorpan onto another car, to make it 4wd, than it is to transplant an engine alone. In RWD format, the V8 Audi engine that Paul has used won't be able to deliver anywhere near it's full potential on the tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by attackoftheeddiemunster View Post
    What utter nonsense: you're suggesting that it's easier for a "twonk" to stitch another floorpan onto another car, to make it 4wd, than it is to transplant an engine alone. In RWD format, the V8 Audi engine that Paul has used won't be able to deliver anywhere near it's full potential on the tarmac.
    First off have you ever watched Bangalore bangers or the English garage on discovery were they stuck a Subaru floorpan under a mk1 golf, they used a laser aligned system to fit it all in.
    But it looked nothing like a golf in the end and did go like the clapers which it should do as less weight and more power.
    Drive train loss though will take 17 to 25% of that power plus the extra weight of a rear diff prop shafts and transfer box, so why did lambo build the balbony drivers car special with only rear wheel drive when the 4x4 was faster, because it makes it a better drivers car.
    And also let me think, 288gto, gt40,f40, miura,stratos can anybody think of some more?

And I think pauls v8 and my 2gr in the future supercharged v6 may never get all our power down, but that's not the frigging point we have done it cause we can to prove a point, like the v12 in the mk2 or 4x4 a mr2 we do these things because people say it can't be done, and our huge grins as we fire up our mid engined mr2 mk1s we may not be the most powerful or tractable cars but by god we will have some fun driving them.
    Were as moaners can eat my rubber and go suck my fumes.

Thought i'd let you have your say first Tiggs..

Eddie Munster clearly hasn't understood the TwoB ethos as yet ;) ..... We'll make a convert out of him yet lol!

Gimme a stupidly high powered RWD over 4WD for back lane fun any day of the week!!! Having had several moderately powerful 4WD cars and driven others i'd much sooner have the RWD. The only time i'd want 4wd over rwd is for offroading or dirt rally .... now ... seeing as my two never sees even a slightly damp field i needn't worry. Answer this Munster... Back in the 80's Ford made the RS500 (RWD) with the particulars of demolishing BMW at Brit Touring Car ... which it did. Then when the 2 door cossie ceased they specifically made the Sapphire Cossie in RWD for homologation rules IIRC. Why - if 4WD is better did they not just use the 4WD sapphy cossie if it's soo much better.....

RWD me all the way with my balls on fire going backwards off a cliff .... at least with oversteer i wont see what's gonna kill me! :D

To add to that peg I have had a mk1 rs500 cossie then a 4x4 v6, rs8 Australian mk1 v8 sierra stupid power, but my fav was the lotus Carlton straight six with 3.4 litre conversion 600bhp but as you say tail sliding over a hedge backwards is so much fun lol, 4x4 should stick to landrovers and rally cars how many new lambo and Ferrari 4x4 are going to be going cross country or track days, don't get me wrong if some one wants to fit a 4x4 system to an mr2 good on em I love people who do weird and experiMENTAL stuff to cars.

Just wait till you see the idea I have cooked up if all goes to plan after the house move, some one was selling a second hand jet engine out of a helicopter 385bhp and lite weight, dam did I type that out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by dgh938peg View Post
    Eddie Munster clearly hasn't understood the TwoB ethos as yet ;)
    He's a lot closer than some of my friends, I said I was building a 4WD Audi V8 Celica, 360bhp, my friend just didn't get it, "you could get 360bhp out of 2.0 Turbo".
    I love the stuff that gets built on in this forum, not just chasing numbers, well, I suppose we're just chasing cylinder numbers over bhp, but the projects are so much better reading than just putting bigger turbos on some little 4 pot.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehall View Post
    I love the stuff that gets built on in this forum, not just chasing numbers, well, I suppose we're just chasing cylinder numbers over bhp, but the projects are so much better reading than just putting bigger turbos on some little 4 pot.
    Amen!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast