Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaky rocker cover

leaky rocker cover

Is there a secret to stopping the rocker cover from leaking? I'm in the process of resealing it for the third time in less than 1000miles as I have a leak coming from it again.

Have tried once completely clean and once with a tiny bit of silicon and no luck either way, is there any tips you can give me? Shall I just tighten the bolts as tight as I can get them?

Cheers

are you using new seals? , i would use a wipe of clean oil around the new seal as general practice (thats only for o-ring type rubber seals). the torque spec is 13 lbft or 156 inch pounds. if you overcompress a nitrile rubber seal it will distort and more likely not to seal. are all the rubber pipes clear that run from the cam cover? none of them are clogged right..? just thinking if the breather pipe is blocked it may build up a slight pressure inside the covers and blow through easier.. its a long time since i looked in a 3sg bay, check the breather pipe from covers to large pipe after AFM.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Sealing the 3vz with a new gasket requires some sealant at specific points. I'm guessing that's required on the 3S aswell.

i used RTV sealant toyota use the same as it doesnt degrade under temperature apparantly - it may be worth getting a tube of it and try it , make sure your seals if in position perfectly and you should be ok.

can you see where abouts it seems to be leaking from.

I've got exactly the same issue with the rocker cover on the Celica (3SGE) and from what I've read on the Celica forum's it's pretty endemic to the gen-5.

The solution (from what I've read) is silicon in the right places, on either side of the cam followers, new rubber washers and loctite on the bolts plus tighten up the bolts a bit at a time. Check that the cover isn't warped as well, 'tis a possibility.

A layer of permatex on the gasket has always worked wonders for me but I'm not sure if that's okay for rubber gaskets. Good luck.

It is a new seal I have used each time.

Breather pipes are all good.

It leaks all along the side the injectors are on.

I torqued them up to exact spec as the workshop manual says.

The only thing I haven't checked is whether or not my rocker cover is warped. Will check that tonight. I'm wondering if my bolts have come loose as they didnt take much to come out. Either that or I missread what torque to put them to.

Tripod23, when you used RTV sealant, did you put it all the way round?
    Last edited by T.I.M; 28-01-2010 at 16:24. Reason: spellwing

yes i was told to use a very fine bead of rtv all the way round - and pop a little more where it says to in the manual pop the cover on and torque down to spec. do not get carried away and put tooooo much rtv on because it could break off inside and go into your oil ways. [ probably a bit extreme but it could happen ] . it should be fine then - just make sure all the seals are evenly placed into the recess of the rocker cover as they have a habbit of coming out of the packet all twisted , make sure they fit all the shapes of the rocker as well.

good luck

in the past i have used silicone and not had good results so this is why i decided to use rtv its made for the job so im told.
    Last edited by tripod23; 28-01-2010 at 16:43.

cheers tripod. I'll try n get some when I'm out n about tomorrow

I've noticed I'm getting a number of leaks from the rocker cover on my 3VZ-FE.
    New gasket (eBay),
    RTV at the sharp angle changes (as per manual locations)
    Reusing the original bolts and washers (some washers seem a bit perished, brittle)

Obviously the top rebuild would be to buy new Toyota Gaskets (£15.70 each) and washers (£2.40 each) and rebuild (£70 total).
    The headgasket I got from the same eBay seller was terrible. I'd like to avoid the £70 option, but does anyone think I can get away with any short cuts here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast