Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time squirter!

Tnx for the input guys! Updated to first post to include everything.

Here a drawing i found of the 3VZ-FE dizzy, showing the wheel a bit clearer:
    Last edited by hmmmmm; 08-01-2011 at 20:32.

Hmm, for some reason can't see the dizzy pic (and again forgot to check the spare, will make a note to check tomorrow). But I can answer a few of the outstanding questions :D

AFM can be removed altogether and the MS run off it's internal MAP sensor :)

The coil driver thing - not sure. Description of the spark outputs from the MS3x info says " Works with many types of ignition modules and coils, including LSx coils and our IGN-1As. Requires exteranl module or coils with internal ignitors." which'd seem to suggest the outputs are capable of driving an ignitor. Worth dropping them a mail to check maybe?

There's another spark output mode that I didn't think of that'd be possible - COP wasted spark. Uses 3 spark outputs and COP modules wired in pairs, uses the 36-1 style trigger and doesn't requrie a second input signal so can still ditch the distributor.

edit: this thread would seem to indicate the coils used in the LS1 can be fired by 3v, if thats the case you'd be able to drive something like that directly with the MS, no addition of spark drivers required
    http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...-coil-testing/
    Last edited by AlunJ; 08-01-2011 at 19:28.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Tnx for the info AlunJ!

Ive seen the IGN-1A's on their site, they are about $70 each, and then you still need some sort of ignition module.. LS1's look like a better option, they can be found on ebay for around $200, 8 coils with integrated igniter so no ignition module required. I do think it will require some modding to get them connected to the plugs, the spark plugs on the 3vz-fe are pretty far down in the valve cover.

I like the idea of using wasted spark cop, basically the best of both worlds. You get the control and precision of COP without having to use multiple signals, this might be a winner :)

Found some more info on the LS1 coils, apparently the LS1 coils are 40ma and the LS2/truck coils are 120ma!!!

On the LS1 coil there is around 40 milliamps of peak secondary current with 5 milliseconds of dwell time. On the LS2/truck coil (AC Delco D585), there is 120 milliamps!

The LS2 coil (GM# 12573190, AC Delco D514-A) from the 2005-2006 Corvette (& GTO and Avalanche), and the GM coil used on 2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, 2000-2006 Yukon, 1999-2006 Chevy Silverado, 2001-2005 Trail Blazer, and some Hummers, etc.. The model is GM# 10457730 or AC Delco D585 (also Wells C1251, Standard UF262, GM/Daewoo 190005218). The LS2/truck coil has a visible external aluminum heat sink near the connector.
    So using these is preferable, but the LS1 coils are more then adequate!

Also found something else on the msextra forums, apparently we can also use the renault cop system directly on the MS3X:
    LS1, LS2, LS truck coils

The LS style coils are of a "coil near plug" design, they are also logic level. They are fairly easy to obtain used (in the USA) and are available new from OEM or aftermarket. The truck coil gives the most powerful spark and is easily identified by the heatsink.
    Coil-on-plug coils
    There are many different coil on plug coils used by the OEMs. Some are logic level, some require high current drivers. If a coil has two wires it is certainly high current. If a coil has three or four wires it is almost certainly logic level.
    High current 2 wire COP (Renault)

Mazda rotary coils
    These coils have integral ignitors and can be directly connected to the MS3X logic output.
    The OEM cop system looks intersting as it is a true ON plug system, not NEAR plus as the LS1. This could mean the OEM ones are a straight fit through the cam covers :) Just need some type of rubber grommet to keep the dirt out. And we would need the 3 or 4 wire variant, which is plug and play on the MSX3. But i cant find which brand/model has these..
    Last edited by hmmmmm; 08-01-2011 at 22:39.

This'll be a really clean looking engine install :D

Some COP info I found, might be of some help.
    http://www.sr20-forum.com/tuning/260...wd-engine.html
    The link below the info for the toyota 2zz coils goes to the motec site where they provide the dwell info for those coils, would be very nice if those ones fitted.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Never mind..
    Last edited by hmmmmm; 09-01-2011 at 23:08.

Quote Originally Posted by AlunJ View Post
    The link below the info for the toyota 2zz coils goes to the motec site where they provide the dwell info for those coils, would be very nice if those ones fitted.
    Nice find! I've already emailed Mr.T to check the price on those.

ps: sleep much? me neither :)

If you use the oil pump from the 5vzfe then you will have a provision for the VR sensor you can then use the sprocket(36-2) get rid of the distributor and use the 5vzfe ignition system. The install would be cleaner.You can use an ignitor from efisource.com .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heh, and the vast plugin for megasquirt is complete crap too. Bought a MS ready configured for it from one of the developers - his comment at the time (after weeks of trying to get it to run) being "We've not actually run a car on this, but in theory it will work". Never did get it working, hence the move to EDIS then wasted spark (finding some interesting mistakes in the MS's build along the way). Yes, the downside with using the ford EDIS controller is you can't cut the sparks on the limiter so you have to combine ignition retard with fuel cutoff, probably not the best option on a turbo'd car. Wasted spark or COP will let you use a wider range of timing and the proper spark cut limiters (which're ideal for the launch control and flatshifting).
    I got VAST working on mine rather easily, I just setup the MS2 up to accept a hall/optical signal (5V square wave) and put the appropriate pull up (or pull down) resistor and she works. I only use the VAST to feed the tach signal to the MS2, I drive the coil via the MS2 so I could get spark cut to work.

Tnx rev king, added it to the start post!

This'll be a really clean looking engine install :D

Some COP info I found, might be of some help.
    http://www.sr20-forum.com/tuning/260...wd-engine.html
    Asked mr.T and they are €227,35 a piece, so thats nearly €1400 in total.. I think im back to the LS1/2 coils :)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast