Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time squirter!

Icon5 First time squirter :) Megasquirt Info Thread

ms banner.jpg

Im about to order some goodies from Diyautotune to build a Megasquirt V3 (MS from now on). Basically i want to try and run everything from it for my TT V6 build . So including boost control, spark cut etc. Ive heard from some people that the big boy ecu's like the hydra and link are more suited but they just aren't brutal enough :icon_biggrin: Ive got some soldering experience, but mostly connectors and specific parts for weighing bridges, not a lot of pcb stuff, so that will be a nice challenge.

Since this is my first experienc
    e with ECU's in general, i thought it might be a good idea to put everything on here, and bomb the (MS) ecu guys (yes im talking to you alunj :blabla:) with questions. In the end i will make a solid write up so everyone running a 3VZ-FE (with or without FI) can have a go with a proper manual. Ive linked most of the products and terms used, so people interested can look up the meaning of certain words immediately. This is mostly going to be about 3VZ-FE, because that is what i'm using. But if anyone has something to add to the list, that is specific to other V6 engines (1MZ/2GR) please do! :thumbsup:

General info links:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm
    www.msextra.com

3VZ-FE with MS (Edis) build on mr2oc
    3VZ-FE with MS build on twobrutal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-First the shopping list, this is what you basically need for a V6:
    *Megasquirt 3 with pcb 3.0, unassembled kit --> Specs and features ($373.00)
    This is the UNassembled version, if you don't trust you're soldering skills get the assembled version. To see what involved i've found a nice thread here. They do come with a very good assembly manual.

*JimStim v1.5 MegaSquirt Stimulator w/ Wheel Simulator -Unassembl ($59.00)
    Even the simulator can be scrapped, but i would very much advice against it. With the simulator you can program the MS and test it before if even gets close to you're car. You don't want to clown around learning the system with you're engine on the line

*Innovate Standalone Gauge Kit w LC-1 & XD-16 - 3781 ($299.00)
    This is a very popular wideband O2 air/fuel ratio meter, you don't need this if you're not planning on doing any tuning yourself. If you take it to a dyno and let a professional tuner do the work, he has his own anyway. But then again, people that do that probably wont buy a MS

There are some parts that make it easier, for example:
    12' MegaSquirt Wiring Harness (MS1 / MS2 / MS3 Ready) ($65.00)
    I'm not bothering with extras, i've got all the cable and db37 connectors i need at work, and i want to create a new wiring harness anyway.

There are however some extra parts i need, since im using COP and FI (more on this further down):
    MegaSquirt-III MS3X Expansion Card ($90,-)
    Like the description says, this is an expansion board to the MS. This will add functions like boost control and all the sequential and extra I/O capability of the MS3 processor.

*PCBv3 -- PWM IAC Valve Control (TIP120) 'Mod-Kit' ($7.50)
    Not sure if this is needed. The 3VZ-FE im using has a IAC valve, but when using the MS3X expansion board this function might already be on it, still waiting to hear from Diyautotune on this subject.

*EBC Electronic Boost Control Solenoid Kit ($39.00)
    This is used to control the pressure going to the wastegate actuator on the turbo, basically controlling the amount of boost that is fed to the intake manifold. You can do this manually by plumbing a line from the intake to the actuator but this has several disadvantages. More info here (might need 2 of these, , but first im trying to split this up using a T piece, so i can control 2 actuators with one solenoid)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Ignition,there are a couple of ways to do this.
    1: Run the standard ignition, and use the wheel inside the distributor + VR sensor
    This probably the easiest en quickest method, no fabrication work needed etc. But also more crude. Wasted spark and COP have long since superseded this ignition type. With this type of setup you cant use advanced functions like launch control or flat shifting, as you can't mess around with the spark timing.

2: Wasted spark, the spark plugs fire in pairs even though one is on its compression stroke and one is on its exhaust stroke. The extra spark on the exhaust stroke has no effect and is thus "wasted". (Ford Edis-6 ignition uses this method), this means installing a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank + VR sensor but gives a better controllable spark, and gets rid of the distributor all together. You still need plug wires though.

3: COP (Coil on plug), this means you are running 1 coil per plug, controlled directly by the ecu. You will need two signals for this, a crank signal + a cam signal. Both can be found in the distributor or you can use 2 different VR-sensors. Removes not only the distributor (unless you're using the signal from this off course) but also the plug wires. So no more problems with crappy wires or worn out distributor caps. You need six outputs so this method can only be achieved by using the MS3X Expansion board.

4: COP + Waisted spark. This is a bit of both, you can still use 1 coil per plug, but you fire them in pairs meaning you will only use 3 outputs on the MS3X, making for a simpler installation and a cleaner look. You could even run this without the MS3X expansion board, since you only need 3 outputs, but this means you will loose those outputs for other options like nitrous etc.

------------------------
    COP Parts list:
    Ford Edis 6: You will need the 6 coils + igniter, and the 36-1 trigger wheel + VR-sensor.
    COD/Wasted spark: You can get new coils and igniters from diyautotune, which are directly controllable by the MS. Or you can use other coils that are supported right now by the MS, like the US LS1/2 coils, or the Mazda RX8's.
    ------------------------

The LS style coils are of a "coil near plug" design, they are also logic level. They are fairly easy to obtain used (in the USA) and are available new from OEM or aftermarket. The truck coil (mostly listed as LS2) gives the most powerful spark and is easily identified by the heatsink. There have been some measurements done and it seems the LS1 coils give 40ma, while the LS2 (truck) coils give a whopping 120ma. Dont think however that the LS1 coils aren't suitable, they have a very short dwell (charge time), and are powerful enough to drive almost anything.

There are many different coil on plug coils used by the OEMs. Some are logic level, some require high current drivers. If a coil has two wires it is certainly high current. If a coil has three or four wires it is almost certainly logic level. Mazda rotary coils have integral ignitors and can also be directly connected to the MS3X logic output.

Another option is to use the oil pump from the 5vzfe, this has a 36-2 toothed wheel and a provision for the VR sensor. You can use an ignitor from efisource.com to power the 5vzfe coils. This makes for a clean and relatively cheap solution, keep in mind though that this system does not have build in igniters, so you still have coil->wire->igniter.

-Injectors:
    Stock injectors for the 3VZ-FE are 200cc. The 1MZ has slightly bigger injectors, 270cc.
    The best upgrade for the 3VZ-FE are the supra injectors: '90 7M-GTE [part nr:23250 42010] - 440 cc's @ 43.5psi 2.7ohms, low impedance.

The MS can handle both high and low impedance injectors. To use the low impedance injectors you need to limit the current. This can be done by using ballast resistors, or using the MS's pulse width modulation.

MS pwm settings for low impedance injectors:
    PWM Current Limit to 30% in most cases (all V3 main board with active flyback installed)
    PWM Current Limit to 75% if and only if you have you impedance injectors and have NOT installed: the active flyback circuit on a V3 main board

Both these methods aren't ideal however. Limiting the current to 75% has the effect of lowering the injector maximum flow rate at the top end. I would imagine only having 30% of total saturation would limit the speed of the injectors ability to open. The ideal solution is to use the Peak&hold injector driver board, which uses a high current short peak burst to open the injector quickly, and a small holding current to keep it open, thereby using the maximum injector flow rate.

Here we have the original 3VZ-FE and the 7M-GTE next to each other: picture link. If you want to try other Toyota injectors, Paul has provided us with the big list of injectors, and their respective specifications here.

-Sensors
    Im using the LC1 (see shopping list) as a wideband, so i can keep an eye on the AF ratio, and do some road tuning. The MS has a 2.5Bar MAP sensor, which is around 36PSI. Keep in mind that this is 2.5 bar absolute reading, the first bar of that is used for NA operation (the range under vacuum). So the sensor's range is from 1 bar vacuum to 1.5 bar (20 or so psi) boost. The MS can run the engine solely using the MAP sensor, which means you can remove the AFM!

I will not even reach 10PSI with my current setup so this is more then adequate. (If you want to go very mental, you can upgrade to a 4Bar sensor). Most of the other sensors like temperature and oil pressure will work on the MS so no need to change them.

Last edited by hmmmmm; 23-05-2011 at 00:54.

-DIYBOB (Do it yourself break out box)
    This will allow you to make a very clean connection from the standard ECU plugs of you're car, to a box where you plug/solder in all the wires to the MS. Looks like we can use the Nippondenso 76 pin breakout adapter. So no more hacking cables :) Just plug in the toyota ECU plugs, and use the MS pigtail to get all the signals to the MS3.

This might also be a first step towards a proper cheap ECU for the 3VZ-FE. If we can create both a fuel map, and an ignition map for the (semi)stock 3VZ-FE's, people can get an aftermarktet ECU for 300/400 quid, pre loaded with this basic map, and plenty of upgrade functions in the future. I know there was someone on here trying this with a OEM ECU but that didn't work out so this might be the next best thing?

-What V6 engines can this be used on?
    The 3VZ-FE and 1MZ-FE have both been cracked. There is some info on this around the web, but no proper guides. User 3VZ-FE on here did a 3VZ-FE turbo build, using a MS, so the info is out there, just need to pry it loose! :icon_mrgreen:

The 2GR is a different story as it has a VVTI system (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence), which is difficult to control with a current aftermartket ecu. Diyautotune however have a VVTuner available that might do the trick, but it's build for the Mazda MX5 so will require work.

The more expensive ECU's like the Solaris/Syvecs might be able to run the VVTI but this is yet to be confirmed.
    The LinkG4 Xtreme has Precision closed loop cam control (four cam, independent control), but only four outputs, so if you need DBW (Drive by wire) that will take up 1 output, leaving 3, which is not enough to control 4 cams.. As far as i can tell, it hasn't been done so far. For more info keep an eye on this thread.

-Currently outstanding questions:

None at the moment

Any help & tips are welcome! Ill try and add everything in the start post so we can have a proper MS thread! :thumbsup:
    Also if you spot any spelling or grammatical errors please let me know, i am Dutch so English is not my first language.

-Special thank to: (i wont quote everything, as i want to make a proper guide, not just a list of quotes ):
    AlunJ - lots-o-stuff
    snowtigger - Info on 2GR+MS
    knightrous - Info on 2GR+MS
    lemmy01 - Info on 2GR+LinkG4
    Nod - info on injectors
    rev king - 5vz-fe ignition idea
    Last edited by hmmmmm; 12-01-2011 at 13:50.

Funny, was looking at the ms3 upgrade last night :D Datalogging and USB for the win.

Sensors etc you should be fine using the stock ones, everything from MS2 onwards allows calibration in software rather than having to reflash the code. One thing to remember is the MS pressure sensor is 2.5 bar absolute reading - the first bar of that is used for NA operation (the range under vacumn) - so the sensors range is from 1 bar vacumn to 1.5 bar (20 or so psi) boost.

Sparks you've got a few options - 6 way COP (which'd need 6 coil drivers installed), EDIS-6 (retaining the ford controller) needs one output, wasted spark using the EDIS coilpack alone uses three drivers. COP requires more than one trigger input, one for crankshaft position and one for camshaft position (both of which may be obtainable using the trigger wheels in the distributor), where EDIS and wasted spark only require the 36-1 trigger wheel and sensor (so able to fully remove the dizzy).

Diyautotune are fantastic to deal with, far better and faster than the UK supplier I used previously.
    Last edited by AlunJ; 06-01-2011 at 12:19.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

this will be good , itching to have a go myself with an ms2 . Got the sills to do first . Hopefully be a good faq thread for v6 squirters

Quote Originally Posted by AlunJ View Post
    The first bar of that is used for NA operation (the range under vacumn) - so the sensors range is from 1 bar vacumn to 1.5 bar (20 or so psi) boost.
    Ah that good to know, still plenty for most with stock internals :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by AlunJ View Post
    COP requires more than one trigger input, one for crankshaft position and one for camshaft position (both of which may be obtainable using the trigger wheels in the distributor), where EDIS and wasted spark only require the 36-1 trigger wheel and sensor (so able to fully remove the dizzy).
    Ok so its either removing the distributor using the EDIS, or using the distributor to get the signals needed for COP. I would really like to try the COP, so any ideas where we can steal those from?

Just got an email back from diyautotune. Looks like we can use the Nippondenso 76 pin breakout adapter. So no more hacking cables :) Just plug in the toyota ECU plugs, and use the MS pigtail to get all the signals to the MS3!! Step 1 in standardizing an MS ECU for the 3VZ-FE :)

Will this work for the 2gr?

They haven't sorted the vvti cam buisness yet, the only one at the mo that could power it is the syvecs/solaris but they haven't got back to me yet on if they have cracked it, they have on other toyotas just time I suppose, and if there is enough interest, and considering there's only 8 mr2 2grs possibly in Europe so expensive as well especially for us mk1 owners because we don't have abs so no launch control or other weight bollocks lol.

DIYAutoTune do have the VVTuner for sale. It's currently setup for MX5 VVT systems, but it shouldn't be too hard to hack to work with the 2GR VVT system. Its a case of the code being modified to suit the toyota trigger wheel patterns for the 2GR.

EDIS is crapski if you want to run spark cut or heavy spark retard rev limiting. I had issues with my VAST system on the 4AGE which is very similar to the EDIS and when you hit the spark cut limit, the VAST system would just revert to 10' advance (in the even of a missing timing signal from the ECU ***) and the motor would keep revving...

I'll be upgrading my MS2 to an MS3 soon to run sequential fuel and ignition with 6X COPs, so I'm interested to see what approach you take with yours :)

*** Further note, you can actually run a 4AGE with a VAST ignition system without an ecu. Cranking it over while spraying fuel/aero start into the throttle will make it run as the VAST just runs at 10' timing as soon as it starts cranking.

Heh, and the vast plugin for megasquirt is complete crap too. Bought a MS ready configured for it from one of the developers - his comment at the time (after weeks of trying to get it to run) being "We've not actually run a car on this, but in theory it will work". Never did get it working, hence the move to EDIS then wasted spark (finding some interesting mistakes in the MS's build along the way). Yes, the downside with using the ford EDIS controller is you can't cut the sparks on the limiter so you have to combine ignition retard with fuel cutoff, probably not the best option on a turbo'd car. Wasted spark or COP will let you use a wider range of timing and the proper spark cut limiters (which're ideal for the launch control and flatshifting).

Got a photo of the dizzy internals at all? Didnt think to pull the dizzy off Paff's motor and take a gander earlier but should be possible to mod it to give the signals for COP, assuming the MS3 doesn't support that tooth pattern out of the box.
    It's a 2.0 inline four that thinks it's a viper v10. What's not to love?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast