Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEAMS 3S-GE to 3S-GTE gearbox

BEAMS 3S-GE to 3S-GTE gearbox

From what I can see and have read, the only major difference between the first 3 revisions of the 3SGE and the BEAMS is that the valve angle is narrower on the latter, does this mean that a mk2 turbo gearbox would fit without trouble? Have managed to line myself up one of these engines so I hope to god it does, or I'm gonna have trouble!

Pretty sure it'll fit ok you'll need a turbo flywheel and clutch IIRC

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks a lot :)

What makes you want the E153 for a beams engine?

The BEAMS I'm looking at was only mated to a six speed mounted longitudinally in the Altezza RS200, so it seemed like the easiest way 'round the problem. But if there's a more suitable gearbox, I'm well up for suggestions :)

There's quite a few differences between the BEAMS variant 3S-GE and earlier types, but this is mostly in the head / valve train etc. I think the block used was the same or at least very similar to the later 3S-GTE blocks (with added reinforcement) so should fit the E153 gearbox fine - worth trying to get more info though first, as you are taking an engine block originally in a longitudinal orientation, and mounting transverse (I presume).

Ross

There's quite a few differences between the BEAMS variant 3S-GE and earlier types, but this is mostly in the head / valve train etc. I think the block used was the same or at least very similar to the later 3S-GTE blocks (with added reinforcement) so should fit the E153 gearbox fine - worth trying to get more info though first, as you are taking an engine block originally in a longitudinal orientation, and mounting transverse (I presume).

Ross

It was originally fitted with an S54 box in the MR2. My mate owns one. Probably better for the beams engine in my opinion. Unless you feel like modifying the Beams that is...

Thanks for that info, very helpful

I'd also be considering trying to find a redtop sump and oil pick up as this will lead to severe oil failure should you leave the blacktop sump on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast