Thread: Audi v8 - vems ecu

Audi v8 - vems ecu

Folks,

Basically looking to find out what is required to run an AUDI ABZ V8 engine using a VEMS ECU. The ECU unit on its own is competitively priced for what it can do, but from my (basic) knowledge of this type of set-up, I'd need as a minimum, the ECU with basic connectors to splice into the engine loom, a trigger wheel and associated sensor. I've also heard the wide-band lambda sensor is a useful piece of kit for optimizing the A/F ratio. The VEMS website also sells an engine loom wiring kit, but I'm working on the assumption this is only if the engine its for doesn't have a complete loom with it.

Looking to buy an engine that comes with engine loom, ECU, AFM, but trying to identify what all in need to get running, in an MR2 naturally. I can't find any other info on using the AUDI ECU in the MR2, but I'm guessing its not a cheap (or even possible) option to modify this ECU to get rid of all the unwanted functions.

This is all for costing porpoises at this stage!

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Durham, UK birthplace of the 1.5,v6 and v8 Mr2
    Ross i can help you with everything you need to know, including supplying you with basemaps or even my tweaked maps. I don't have time tonight to answer you but i will give you a full reply tomorrow.

Audi V8 all the way! :thumbsup:

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Ok it all looks pretty simple to me, Andy Hills made my harness but to be honest it comes with a very comprehensive pinout diagram and i would have no hesitation in having a go at this myself as long as your signal wires are properly shielded.

You are right in thinking you just need basic sensor plugs and a little wire. You also need a wideband sensor and a 60-2 trigger wheel with Ford VR sensor.

That is just about it! No ignitors or Map/Maf sensors needed, the Vems does the lot.

See Adamh about the 60-2 trigger adapter, he made an amazing job of mine and will have the Cads for it.

Here is the link to the trigger wheel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELECT...ht_2963wt_1165

And a cheap Ford VR sensor on Ebay with plug and wires....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MONDEO-CR...#ht_500wt_1154

TB Quote of the month:"I split my ear open whilst masturbating" - Jasper Full story Here

Thanks for the info Paul. There seems to be some good (and straight forward, for non-sparky types) info on wiring the unit up. I heard that the AFM can be discarded, as it has an inbuilt sensor of some type. From what I can see, you can buy the ECU, econoseal connectors, and wideband sensor for ~£600 all in, which seems pretty reasonable.

I am guessing best option is to retain the MR2 / 3S-GE ECU and feed it speed sensor info from the engine, thus retaining the ABS and all other basic functions..?

Alternatively, I could look to use the ABZ ECU, but this would be severely pushing any wiring abilities! Do you know of a wiring / pin out diagram for the V8?

Cheers,
    Ross

Yep the Vems is an excellent piece of kit, very featured for a budget ECU, my audi V8 runs brilliantly on it.

All of your Mr2 functions will remain regardless of ECU, so ABS, PS etc etc will all work even if you ditch the engine ECU, good eh?

Don't even think about getting the Audi ECU to work! Absolute nightmare, i tried and failed. It's definately doable but i couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Woods View Post
    Yep the Vems is an excellent piece of kit, very featured for a budget ECU, my audi V8 runs brilliantly on it.

All of your Mr2 functions will remain regardless of ECU, so ABS, PS etc etc will all work even if you ditch the engine ECU, good eh?

Don't even think about getting the Audi ECU to work! Absolute nightmare, i tried and failed. It's definately doable but i couldn't.
    Hey, sounds a POP... ;-) I will wait until I get said engine and the 'proposed' gearbox and make sure it all fits together mechanically (and fit within firewalls!) before I start buying the electronics etc. I might speak with Andy Hills just to see what he charges to modify the ABZ loom to fit the VEMS, and also what sort of power he is making with this combo (I think his engine is standard apart from the VEMS)...

He charged me around £1050 to modify my loom and supply the Vems with everything needed including the wideband and it came with the ABZ basemap.

ross i have trigger wheel, and precision vernier adjustable mount made for the audi crank, on the shelf here
    i just need a crank pulley to fit it to, and your done.
    ......in the bluecorner , fighting out of japan....

Rosssco, I don't know if this is of interest to you, but I'm going to have a serious crack at extracting the S8 ECU and required electrics. When I get it to work I'll post up my documentation in a neat manner so if you've got a donor car, it will not cost you anything extra to run the engine. If you're after the VEMS from choice rather than neccesity, Paul should be able to get you running.