Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rounded nut on thermostat housing

Rounded nut on thermostat housing

I've been working to try and replace the thermostat, there are two 10mm nuts on studs that hold the casing on, the lower one of them is free, the upper one is stuck and feels like putty. I've managed to round it using a hex socket, anyone got any suggestions to free it off?

Its the upper nut (the one with the spanner on in this picture : http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanic..._0513_0001.jpg)

It's in a bastard position (as per normal).

Help!

can you not file flats onto the rounded head to create a smaller size to get a socket on there - or try to tap on a smaller socket , and try to undo it with slow pressure applied to it. it worked for a solid sump plug on my merc van that some prick must have done up with a windy gun or something .

File the head of the bolt so you can pull the thermostat housing of then get a stud unwinder onto the stud and wind it off.

might try tapping on a smaller socket, I doubt I can get a file in there to be honest, the aircon tensioner is right up tight to it.

Look for a socket called a gator grip it's got hexagon rods inside, supposed to be able to work on rounded of nuts and bolts, I also have special spanners that are supposed to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    Look for a socket called a gator grip it's got hexagon rods inside, supposed to be able to work on rounded of nuts and bolts, I also have special spanners that are supposed to do the same.
    Agree with young Tigger. I have seen these on TV and they should do the job. A tenner delivered on FleaBay.

Clicky

“Where I'm going is not nearly as important as what I'm driving to get there.”
    ― Jay Leno

Or Irwin Bolt Grips, work everytime for me with no hassel at all.

Bit more expensive at £20-ish a set, but cut right into any bolt and rip it straight out, and are not expensive at all if you get in on this auction before it ends http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Gri...item20b3c2d8b3

Interesting! I started with a 6 sided socket and that rounded it, I think the bolt is made of putty! I might invest in a set of bolt grips, i'm forever rounding nuts though i'll probably be looking for a stud extractor next....

if your not botherd about cutting the head of the bolt then use the extractor tool once you have cut it thats if there is enough space to get the tools in. and just get new bolts from mr t job sorted.

The irwin grip sockets they do really work I don't know where else they are available (apart from ebay) from but I think Cromwell do have branches across the country if you can't wait for the ebay listing to finish
    http://www.cromwell.co.uk/IRW5653620B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast