Thread: ecu self learning?

ecu self learning?

the 3sgte ecu are self learning but to what limits?

if you say use a fuel controller to modify afm signal is the ecu then going to try and modify its self around it back to normal settings?

if it is is there a way around it?

I don't think that self learning is the right word as far as I know. Though there is loads of discussion on this. I think the ecu is "self adjusting" it modifys the timing dependant on the airflow and fueling. If you try to modify the fueling by adjusting the afm signal it can have undesirable effects on the timing as far as I know. I'm sure someone can expand on this as i'm not very well clued up on the 3S-GTE

i know the ecu as your lean out the mixture with an safc or the like advances the ignition slightly and your meant to keep a/f ratio in boost to 11.5 :1 to stay safe, as appossed to ecu standards 10:1

just wasnt sure if the ecu would try and alter fueling as well as the timing

the reason for it advancing timing, AFAIK, is that what safc etc does is basically tells the engine there is less air going in than there really is. Because of this, the ecu also 'thinks' there is less boost pressure, so it doesn't retard timing as much as it normally would.

i get all that bit, is that all it does or does it have the ability to alter the injector pulses to try and bring back fueling similar to standard parameters

well at WOT it doesn't know what the a/f ratios are like coming out the exhaust, as the oxygen sensor feedback loop isn't used under WOT conditions.